More BBC drivel about the demise of the show

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
The BBC seem to be missing the point,after reading this they seem to think it is all about age groups, and we should be happy with what shows they have planned for us in the future and the fact they have older people in them,they have missed the fact it has been iconic for many reasons, the scripts,the countryside,the many talented cast that have appeared in the show,added to this they claim there is a back catalogue of all the episodes for global fans to pick from,well there would be if the entire series was available on dvd,as this is not the case and the rate the DVD's have been released it could be 2025 before they are all available,and some of us may not be here then, Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11057180

Oh, I just hate it when people treat elderly people as if they were aliens from another world! Why can´t they see we are all the same basically? I always have disliked other people slagging of elderly persons, even when I was a child among other children. I like the older generations very much and I´m afraid I have been born in the wrong decade. I don´t watch shows that a 30 year-old apparently is supposed to watch and I don´t like the humour that I´m supposed to like, according to my age. It never worked, I don´t like many things I should like, including discos and most of the modern music. I feel so different from most of the others of my age. Maybe it´s because I am an only child and grew up with parents and grandparents in the same house, I don´t know. I still had lots of playmates of my age, but I also always felt very related to older generations, maybe because my grandmother told me so much about things and I kept asking. She would have loved LOTSW, in many ways she reminded me of Cleggy with her wit. I don´t care about age, I have friends of any age group and I wouldn´t have it any other way. And I can´t understand what puts so many people and broadcasters off elderly persons, I really honestly can´t!
Sorry, I just had to say this!

I agree with you ****...and i'm 56 yrs old.
I too was more inclined as youngster in the early 70's, to listen to tales from the elderly people that i came across from time to time.
I my case, because i had a keen interest in motorcycles, i would often visit a 72 yr old gentleman called Charlie, who had a large garage that contained several old motorcycles, he loved working on them in the evening, with radio 4 on his small transistor radio on a shelf, covered in years of dust.

Within a few years of "hanging out" with Charlie, i had no fear of any engine or gearbox, he taught me tricks of the trade that even some University and College lecturers weren't aware of, even though they taught motor engineering.
I wouldn't say that all modern youth of today can be accused of a lack of respect for their elders, i used to be goaded by a few of my "friends" about it being weird that i should prefer to visit Charlie, rather than be with them.
The reason was that i had a fascination for anything mechanical, as i still do to this day, hence the Triumph Thruxton i own at present and i'm convinced that had i never known Charlie, i doubt that i would have been as good a mechanic as i am.
I still use the techniques that he taught me and they have come in handy on accasions...and earned me a "couple`a quid" (Wesley) over the years.

Charlie was just one of many elderly friends who have helped me over the years, in viewing the world in a slightly different way to what other folks may do.

RIP Charlie, respect!

G ; )

The BBC seem to be missing the point,after reading this they seem to think it is all about age groups, and we should be happy with what shows they have planned for us in the future and the fact they have older people in them,they have missed the fact it has been iconic for many reasons, the scripts,the countryside,the many talented cast that have appeared in the show,added to this they claim there is a back catalogue of all the episodes for global fans to pick from,well there would be if the entire series was available on dvd,as this is not the case and the rate the DVD's have been released it could be 2025 before they are all available,and some of us may not be here then, Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11057180

I figure by the time the whole series comes out, I'll be Barry's current age. :/

@ BluprintZ
Yes, I know what you mean, others would think you are weird if you prefer hanging around with an elderly man rather than with your friends. That´s the reason I haven´t told anyone about my friendship with Peter, let alone that I go and see him every now and then. People wouldn´t understand and I don´t want it to be spoilt by silly comments. And they wouldn´t know him here anyway.
My father would have loved to have met Charlie, he is very interested in vintage cars and has a red triumph TR6. Always reminds me of Edie, this thing ;). But it´s been broken down almost from the start when he got it a few years ago, don´t ask me what´s wrong. Charlie could have helped, I´m sure!

I see my comment in reply to the article ,which are the same as posted here have not been published on the BBC magazine website, they do not like people pointing out that they could be wrong,Terry

Back