Morecambe and Wise

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Our heroes of Christmases past were on the box last night a rare showing of their live show from 1973 which includes the classic sketch of Eric's attempt at Ventriloquism . I had not seen in a long while but the tears were still running down my face watching it again . The show was on from 23:00 until 00:30 so it may have been too late for a lot of you but if you would like to see that sketch it is on You tube in two halves and the links are below . It was , I believe, a "try out" for sketch from their TV show in which the Vent's dummy was replaced by a dummy with twelve foot legs . If you have not watched I would urge you to do so I found it just so funny .

Part 1

Part 2

I used to have M & W on VHS tapes - might still be there up in the upper reaches of the Towers - but not on DVD. Shall have to check to see what can be got as I can recall all the right bits, but not necessarily in the right order!!

When I was a lad I worked part time in a Petrol Station on the A1, late one night Mr Wise pulled in with his Jensen Interceptor, I filled his tank, checked his oil and water and finished off by cleaning his screen, he gave me some cash and I went inside and got his change and took it to him then walked back inside, he sat on the forecourt for a while and I wondered why, he then got out of the car, came inside and said I will have the stamps.
I had forgotten to give him his greenshield stamps and I must admit I was shocked he even collected them, he must of seen my shock as he parted by saying, they are for the wife, If I go home without them I'm in the dog house for days.
Happy Days

When I was a lad I worked part time in a Petrol Station on the A1, late one night Mr Wise pulled in with his Jensen Interceptor, I filled his tank, checked his oil and water and finished off by cleaning his screen, he gave me some cash and I went inside and got his change and took it to him then walked back inside, he sat on the forecourt for a while and I wondered why, he then got out of the car, came inside and said I will have the stamps.
I had forgotten to give him his greenshield stamps and I must admit I was shocked he even collected them, he must of seen my shock as he parted by saying, they are for the wife, If I go home without them I'm in the dog house for days.
Happy Days

Lovely story, and it would have been a good tale to include in the show. Eric was always going on about how mean Ernie was.

Back