My Holmfirth Trip

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
We had a great long weekend in Holmfirth, let me start by saying the holiday rental was very good, a two minute walk to the centre of town, Parking for two cars, it is a upside-down house with Bedrooms on the lower floor giving great views over Holmfirth from upstairs,a great wifi connection,and most things you will even need to have a great time including LOSW DVD's to play, highly recommended and worth every penny, you can book it here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacati...ch_View-Holmfirth_West_Yorkshire_England.html

The Main purpose of the trip was to see the Crusher in the Cafe event on the Saturday afternoon, it was really nice to receive a message on the Saturday morning that Jonathan will be in the Old Bridge Inn at 1pm if we wanted to meet for a chat, which we did and a hours or so soon passed, one of his friends did snap a picture of the two of us

A couple of hours later approx 30 people squeezed into the Cafe for Jonathan's 90 minute talk from Holmfirth to Hollywood and back to Holmfirth, there was video taken of the event and it is hoped in the future it will be available for those who could not make it to the show, towards the end of the talk Jonathan was converted into Crusher with his apron and other props used in the show,and there he was Crusher back in the Cafe.

Jonathan had gone to the trouble to get some limited edition mugs made and each was was numbered and signed on the base, plus we all left with photo's and large event posters signed

On Sunday we had a drive out and I managed a few pictures which I will sort out and post at a later date, I was suffering GMT lag, a bit like jet lag but with feet still on the ground, places we ate were The White Horse, maybe not as good as the last time we went, The Huntsman which was very good and the Fox Houses which is next to Seymour's old house, it was a carvery and not that good,the meat was cut in big slabs, the roast were more like boiled spuds dipped in a fat fryer, yet the place was packed, which effected the bar which was under staffed so a long time to get a drink

We headed home around noon on Monday and all feel we had a jolly good weekend,who knows maybe next year Crusher will be back, Oh it was nice to meet with Barmpot (Rod) again been a while since we got together

Attachments

• 12039297_1010156029004816_8464216742687295505_n.jpg
    12039297_1010156029004816_8464216742687295505_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CR2.jpg
    CR2.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Cr1.jpg
    Cr1.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 16
If the holiday let is the one I think it is, I walked past it on September 29th on the way down Rotcher Road after photographing Blamire's lodging on Royd Mount. I was following in his footsteps at the beginning of "Hail Smiling Morn ...". Is it on the right side of the road as you're headed up, and just above New Row? I noticed the building and thought it looked very nice. Stopped to chat with an elderly man who was preparing a narrow strip of land next to the road for planting, across the drive from the garage at the end of "your" house. He said he was making a sitting-out garden. If I get back there next year, I'll walk up that way to see how it turned out.

The photos of the holiday let on http://holmfirthevents.co.uk/place/church-view-holiday-let/ and on Trip Advisor look perfectly lovely. The tariff isn't bad, either. None of the descriptions or reviews that I've seen mention whether or not there's a washing machine. With launderettes becoming more and more scarce, I'd be willing to pay more than B&B price if I'm planning to stay in one place longer than about three days. Washing laundry in the sink gets old fast!

Sid's Cafe's Facebook page also has pictures from the event up today. Pretty interesting not only for the event, but you also get a really good look at the inside of the real café for those who haven't ever been. There are also some pictures of those who attended.

If the holiday let is the one I think it is, I walked past it on September 29th on the way down Rotcher Road after photographing Blamire's lodging on Royd Mount. I was following in his footsteps at the beginning of "Hail Smiling Morn ...". Is it on the right side of the road as you're headed up, and just above New Row? I noticed the building and thought it looked very nice. Stopped to chat with an elderly man who was preparing a narrow strip of land next to the road for planting, across the drive from the garage at the end of "your" house. He said he was making a sitting-out garden. If I get back there next year, I'll walk up that way to see how it turned out.

The photos of the holiday let on http://holmfirthevents.co.uk/place/church-view-holiday-let/ and on Trip Advisor look perfectly lovely. The tariff isn't bad, either. None of the descriptions or reviews that I've seen mention whether or not there's a washing machine. With launderettes becoming more and more scarce, I'd be willing to pay more than B&B price if I'm planning to stay in one place longer than about three days. Washing laundry in the sink gets old fast!

Church View had a washing machine and a dishwasher,it was very well equipped

Back