"New bars and cafes have sprung up as Last of the Summer Wine town undergoes regeneration"

Some of the bars simply have new names, and probably new ownership. And the owners of O'Brien's on Huddersfield Road carefully restored the building to the original butchers shop appearence. I'd like to see fewer bars, since I don't drink, and more retail shops where one can restock routine supplies - cough lozenges, face soap, newspapers, magazines, and the like. A launderette would be handy, too, for overnight visitors. When I travel, I'm usually away from home for about a month, and I pack only two spare sets of clothes, so if there's no launderette in town, I'm reduced to the primitive nightly laundry in the sink routine, or to frequent treks by bus to the nearest launderette.

@Marianna. How often do you visit?
Through November of 2019, I visited England, usually with a stay in Holmfirth, annually for about 30 years. Then there was the pandemic. After that, a couple of muscles pulled themselves loose from their insertions and had to be surgically reattached (still rehabbing from that one). Then kidney infection and sepsis, from which I'm still recovering. Now a severe case of IT band syndrome that I'd almost bet will require hip replacement to remove the bone spurs that are causing it. It never rains but it pours!

I had expected to have my health and fitness together by my 80th birthday, but didn't achieve that goal. Still working on it. Hope to resume travel in a couple of years.

Back