New Mill and the Ernie Burniston Bench

The very spot where Entwistle was a sage,sadly hardly any of the dry stone wall seems to be left,it’s fallen into disrepair and been left,here Lionel gets cured but passes his depression onto Entwistle.
There are many more scenes filmed around here in New Mill,which I will post as I go on my walks around here,take care everyone.
Chuffer x
E6FADD1D-769D-4C24-8363-B1DCF828194C.jpeg13B98D39-F0D7-4EB0-B552-FEC7015F5B5D.jpeg

Absolutely Brilliant Pictures Chuffer , extraordinary how you manage to match the scenes to the today picture some like the bench are obvious but others ,to me, if I were walking up and down those lanes would require a tent because I could be looking for them for days . The quirkiest to me is the one with the rocky outcrop where Billy fixes his staff to the bikes . The today picture shows there is graffiti there but the area behind the shot of the bikes today is unblemished and in the show shot it looks like the graffiti has been chalked on I wonder is someone in the crew was given the task of doing it?

I think one of the words behind them is Kerouac though spelt with a double RR is this a tribute by someone who read On the Road? :)

Chuffer, thank you so much for your efforts posting these wonderful pictures and insights to this site. It clearly must take you a fair bit of time, but it's massively appreciated and brings joy to myself and no doubt others worldwide who can share the wonderful privilege you have living in Summerwineland.

Well said, Barry. My sentiments exactly. Your efforts are appreciated, Chuffer. I'd treat you to a pint or two as a way of saying Thanks if I can ever manage to get over there. :18:

What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing them, and with such exact references! There is something comforting in knowing these places, seemingly ordinary to most who pass them, are still there.
Thanks so much Eithne,yes to most people the area probably means nothing,but every corner I turn I can remember a scene,or a funny line,or some dialogue,it’s wonderful,and it’s still there to enjoy for those of us who can make it x

I always found it amazing how many episodes were filmed around this location, often just a slight change in camera angle and it looked miles away, thanks for all the pictures Chuffer and I look forward to the next batch
Thankyou so much maltrab,I know,I always think it’s a shame when people travel to Holmfirth to see the locations,yet 2 miles away either side are New Mill and Hade Edge,where most of the wonderful scenes are filmed,most accessible by car,but these areas don’t seem to get the recognition they deserve,thankyou again Terry,I have hundreds of walks planned when the weather improves,I walked around Hade Edge today but had to cut my walk short as it started hailstoning really heavily x

Absolutely Brilliant Pictures Chuffer , extraordinary how you manage to match the scenes to the today picture some like the bench are obvious but others ,to me, if I were walking up and down those lanes would require a tent because I could be looking for them for days . The quirkiest to me is the one with the rocky outcrop where Billy fixes his staff to the bikes . The today picture shows there is graffiti there but the area behind the shot of the bikes today is unblemished and in the show shot it looks like the graffiti has been chalked on I wonder is someone in the crew was given the task of doing it?

I think one of the words behind them is Kerouac though spelt with a double RR is this a tribute by someone who read On the Road? :)
Thank you so much captain I really appreciate that,and it makes it all worthwhile,I know the areas because I have walked them for years,and when I watch an episode I usually know exactly where it is,well spotted with the graffitI,I noticed there was some but didn’t look too closely at either the then or the now photo,thankyou again x

Chuffer, thank you so much for your efforts posting these wonderful pictures and insights to this site. It clearly must take you a fair bit of time, but it's massively appreciated and brings joy to myself and no doubt others worldwide who can share the wonderful privilege you have living in Summerwineland.
Aaw thank you so much Barry,finding the locations doesn’t take too much time as I know most of them,I had some trouble recently finding a location for a future walk and Terry helped me out,then between us we managed to find the Digbys donkey field (well,it was all Terry’s work) I have a book where I scribble down walks I want to do,and scenes,and I add more all the time,and it’s just a case of taking a photo of the then shot,and almost always can go straight to it on a walk,I’m putting some photos up later from my Hade Edge walk today but I had to come home early because of the bad weather,but even walking around I remembered lots and lots of scenes from other episodes as I was walking along,thankyou again for your comment,it is very much appreciated as they all are x

Well said, Barry. My sentiments exactly. Your efforts are appreciated, Chuffer. I'd treat you to a pint or two as a way of saying Thanks if I can ever manage to get over there. :18:
And do you know what Rick,I would love to have that pint with you,and take you to some of these hidden but very well known locations,that offer extends to all our lovely Summer Wine family on here,thankyou for the lovely comment x

Back