No blue plaque for Dame Thora Hird

What a silly decision.Wasnt she often referred to as one of our national treasures,if anyone deserves a blue plaque, she does.!

I never really warmed to "Edie" but i still think Thora Hird was one of the finest actresses to come out of this country whether in a straight role or comedy,she was at the very top of her profession for many,many years.

Hector.

This is just typical of the small minded people who run things in this country. If it is popular with us in general, there is no way that they will allow it. Job's worths!

And by the way, I just discovered the spell check on this page. Many thanks for that.

Disgusting, surely we should have a vote on things like this, I'm a member of the EH and will think carefully before I renew it.

If we can give Maggie Thatcher a state funeral costing thousands of pounds ( If and when she does go) then surely they can put a plague up for someone we do like.

For someone who lead a long and distinguished career in acting as Thora Hird did, definately deserves recognition for it.

But there we go, we are in an age where the so called national treasures are people who are talentless and have the personality of a bowl of cold porridge (or considerably less!!).

The trouble is that the really talented people are criminally overlooked or disregarded.

For someone who lead a long and distinguished career in acting as Thora Hird did, definately deserves recognition for it.

But there we go, we are in an age where the so called national treasures are people who are talentless and have the personality of a bowl of cold porridge (or considerably less!!).

The trouble is that the really talented people are criminally overlooked or disregarded.
Completely agree, these "Talent show" and I mean ALL of them, are just so awful
making celebs out of nobodies who walk in off the street.
There are so many really great actors out there that are being past over for the latest "Talent show" its not entertainment at all its disgraceful and insulting, they are making a fortune with the phone-a-vote culture and we Muppet's are still paying a licence fee!

Totaly agree with all postings ,she was a talanted actress not just a comedy person and she should be honoured.Saw a placque on an imposing house in an Oxfordshire village to some chap who was a "Pageant Master" in the 1930,s never heard of this chap but obviously he came from the right side of the tracks.Incedentaly John Buchan is credited with a plaque as he lived in a village just outside of Oxford for two years.

I agree they will honour less succsesful people but totally ignore a national treasure...Like to know what Edie would have thought of it. >:(

Bloody disgraceful

Totally agree >:(.

Yet this country goes barmy on heaps of garbage bandied out every weekend with the likes of Simon Cowbell drooling at the prospect of a tuneless idiot raking him in more Millions.

I am afraid that nowadays it is a case of gone and very much forgotten. We have very little, if any, true acting talent left and should therefore make every effort to make sure that fine actors like these are never forgotten.

It makes me wonder who will remember the winners of BGT in five years time never mind fifty.

Disgusting, surely we should have a vote on things like this, I'm a member of the EH and will think carefully before I renew it.

If we can give Maggie Thatcher a state funeral costing thousands of pounds ( If and when she does go) then surely they can put a plague up for someone we do like.

If that happens it will truly put the cat among the pigeons. I don't think they would dare.

In todays Mail on sunday Dame Thoras granddaughter Daisy Torme said of the story.That her grandmother had .
Three baftas
An Emmy
Eight books
Thousends of tv hours
Was a patron of over 30 charities and worked from the age of three

And still these people think thats not enough what more should some one do to get on of these blue plaques.

I read in the daily mail today that english heritage have also rejected a blue plaque
for Brian Epstein this week as well

I read in the daily mail today that english heritage have also rejected a blue plaque

I'm sure John Terry and Wayne Rooney will get theirs in due course though.

I'm sure John Terry and Wayne Rooney will get theirs in due course though.

Like I said before, People with no personality and no moral fibre what so ever >:(

How can individuals like that be given hero status! ::)

Its a shame that Epstein has been turned down as well :(

Back