Nora and Alvin

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
The unique relationship between Nora and Compo was enduring and probably unparallelled in the series. However I think the rapport between Nora and Alvin was one of the success stories of the post Compo years. Alvin continued with the practical joking, teasing and tormenting of his next door neighbour but also I loved the pretence he maintained that Nora actually fancied him and how he would would jokingly remind her that he didn't feel the same about her. A very different relationship in that sense but a charming one nonetheless.
wdy6sAt.jpg

Yes I agree I am not such a fan of the later series but I think Alvin was a success. I loved his deadpan looks and his attempts to get Nora to join him for breakfast outside.:)

Same here, not a fan of the later series but i like Brian Murphy and the way he portrayed Alvin.

Yes, Brian Murphy is very witty in LOTSW. He also appears in The Cafe where his talents do not seem to be used as well in that his character, Frank Dobson spends most of his time sitting on a sofa with his wife and occasionally murmuring. True, actors need to play their parts as written but it is so frustrating to see him in such a limiting role.

Me for one likes every series. Hey its summer wine. The greatest and longest running comedy show in the world. It will never be beaten for the time it ran. No show can match it. Back to the topic. Alvin was great the interaction with in a way was a throw back to the Compo-Nora years.

I met him a couple of times when they were filming and he was a really nice person,he would chat about any old thing as if he had known you for years

Assume he must be close to retiring though he did work in 2014 but at 83 this year he must be giving it serious consideration. He will forever be remembered as George Roper. I think Roy Clarke liked to exploit the relationship between Nora and her next door neighbour whether that was Compo , his son Tom for a few episodes and then Alvin . When Nora left the same neighbour relationship was exploited by Roy Clarke with Alvin and Stella which lasted until the end of the show I think it is one of many key threads to the show that made it a success.

I think Roy Clarke liked to exploit the relationship between Nora and her next door neighbour whether that was Compo , his son Tom for a few episodes and then Alvin . When Nora left the same neighbour relationship was exploited by Roy Clarke with Alvin and Stella which lasted until the end of the show I think it is one of many key threads to the show that made it a success.

I've gathered from what I've read that initially Nora's character wasn't particularly intended to be a permanent fixture, but the audience response to the character and the way Kathy Staff played her was so overwhelmingly positive that Roy Clarke had to include her from then on.

Marianna

I believe Roy Clark did a fantastic job in creating first the relationship of Compo and Nora.
Then he switched to her relationship with, "He's just like his father" Tom which was a good way to go the opposite direction, and it still had some conflict with Mrs. Avery.
Then third he created a different relationship for Nora with Alvin. He did a great job of not trying to create the same relationship as with Compo but a different one yet with the same fire and passion. Just as Kathy and Bill brought their parts to life with their superb acting. I think Kathy and Brian did a great job bringing to life the new relationship Roy created.
While the latter years of the series may not have been as strong as earlier years, I look forward to the scenes with Nora and Alvin and find them thoroughly enjoyable. Alvin was definitely a good addition to the series.

Isn't it lovely to hear of how lovely they were in real life,I loved the scenes with Alvin and Nora,and later Stella,I enjoy watching all the series,later ones as well,and can happily watch a Hobbo episode and enjoy it as much as an early one.

Well, I am a bit different from a lot of you in that I didn't always like the early morning Alvin and Nora scenes. Then again, I grew a bit tired of the Compo and Nora scenes. However, they did have their good moments.

Pardon me, for my memory of this particular episode is very rusty, but my favorite ever Alvin and Nora storyline was when Alvin was trying so hard to get a photo of Nora and when he finally did he posted it on his bedroom wall, with from what I recall, dangling arms and feet attached.

Which episode is that?

Pardon me, for my memory of this particular episode is very rusty, but my favorite ever Alvin and Nora storyline was when Alvin was trying so hard to get a photo of Nora and when he finally did he posted it on his bedroom wall, with from what I recall, dangling arms and feet attached.

Which episode is that?

That was a good one. It was in the episode of Spores in season 25.

Back