Off shopping this morning

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I had got away from having to visit the large out of town shops over the holidays,but my printer gave up the ghost last night,after trawling the internet and finding even Amazon did not have stock of a suitable replacement which could be delivered before Christmas,I thought I would give in and have to go into PC world in Lincoln,I then discovered the only store to have stock was Doncaster some 40 miles away,as I use the printer every day I have to make the journey,it's going be fun, NOT

Wish me luck

Travel safely then Mal, there are many roads closed in my town today due to the flooding. I expect it's the same for lots of us. If any of you are out on the roads today, take care, yeah?

Well I was shocked as the sun was out and the drive both ways was painless,there was plenty of parking and the store was almost empty,and this was 11am,we did need a stop on the way back for my BIL weak bladder and it was a McDonald’s which was heaving with children,do folk not cook at home on Sunday's any more,I noticed they were avoiding using the word Christmas anywhere in the store,it was all festive this and that and happy holidays,this makes me sick to the stomach,so how are stores now showing their closing dates,we are closed for the happy holidays

This correctness is going far to far,and if it offends anybody,then I am offended that they are taking offence

Yes me too, when ever I see or hear Festive or holiday season I want to scream Its Bl***y Christmas!!!! And I'm an atheist! But its still Christmas.

Yes me too, when ever I see or hear Festive or holiday season I want to scream Its Bl***y Christmas!!!! And I'm an atheist! But its still Christmas.
My wife loved Christmas and I remember her almost beside herself with anger because some PC twit wanted to call it WINTERVAL??. She used much the same words as you Susan and would tell everyone she met the same tale . ITS CHRISTMAS AND DONT FORGET IT!! >:(

Sounds like a wise woman Dick :)
I also went potty when my grandaughters school refused to a proper naivety play and replaced it with some tosh about winter festivals I'm glad to say they did a proper one this year and my little Daisy was Mary :D It was a very proud day for me and my daughter.

What, they don´t call it just Christmas? But festive or holiday season?? LOL, what for? I have never heard anything like that over here. Sometimes people say Happy Holidays, but nobody is offended because it is only ever used for Christmas, it´s rather supposed to mean "feast" than "days off" ("holiday" can mean both here). And a whole "holiday season" or "festive season" is something I have never heard of. Does it refer to the time around Christmas, the weeks before? We just call it Weihnachtszeit (Christmas time) or Adventszeit (advent time).

What, they don´t call it just Christmas? But festive or holiday season?? LOL, what for? I have never heard anything like that over here. Sometimes people say Happy Holidays, but nobody is offended because it is only ever used for Christmas, it´s rather supposed to mean "feast" than "days off" ("holiday" can mean both here). And a whole "holiday season" or "festive season" is something I have never heard of. Does it refer to the time around Christmas, the weeks before? We just call it Weihnachtszeit (Christmas time) or Adventszeit (advent time).

It seems some folk find it offensive to use the word Christmas,some countries are trying to get folk to say happy holidays instead so we do not offend these people, today's Google home page offering is a typical example,Terry

We are forgetting the meaning of Christmas but not forgetting the presents and the Christmas meal. Don't feel ashamed to say Happy Christmas. I always have a crib in our house not that I need reminding of what time of year it is.

****, we seem to be following the Americans ( No offence) but we're fighting to the last man on this one :)

Everyone I know say christmas it's only shops that seem hell bent on changing it and one or two P.Ters on the radio!

You are right Susan, We should, and I do, always say Christmas. The one I hate most is 'Crimbo'. This to my mind is lazy, disrespectful, and it trivialises the whole meaning of the day. It seems to come from the North of England, but it is spreading South, sadly.

Happy Christmas to you all.

Sue.

Yes, I see Google have a happy holidays greeting on their homepage. As a Baptist, and a believer in the Christ of Christmas, I don't really mind what people call the day. Yes, Christmas is a traditional word and greeting, but so is Yule. Or Solstice, for the 21st. It all comes back to what we believe. If it makes people feel better to say Happy Holidays, then great. It's no less dismissive of Christ than the disbelief of the rest of the year. Know what I mean? I hope I haven't offended anyone, but in many ways it's more fitting to use the other greetings rather than 'Happy Christmas.'

Thank you for the explanation! Either I completely missed that development, or we don´t have it here (yet). I would never have thought some might find it offensive to say Christmas. LOL, I mean, it IS Christmas, that´s the whole idea of it all! I see Rhi´s point. But it all seems a bit weird.

Back