Olive Scrimshaws pub

Great posts Chuffer . I agree the change in the scripts and certainly the characters detracts from what started as a brilliant show . I was lucky enough to get a couple of second hand , well thumbed paperback copies of Peter Tinniswood's books I didn't know you cared and Uncle Mort's North Country from World of Books been out of print a while so I was glad to secure them . I am just starting on the Uncle Mort book and I started laughing out loud reading the first chapter so I am going to plough on through it I will report back .
Fab news about the books captain,I would definitely read those,but I would have to read it in Morts dour gloomy voice,I had a quick look on eBay and there were only three Uncle Morts North Country,and the cheapest was £29.99,you would think they would reprint them wouldn’t you,I have read reviews for all the books in the series and they sound excellent.
I did some training on another lock today,it’s behind the boatyard that’s next to Olive Scrimshaws pub that you see in the show,there’s no access to the public other than the lock keepers,and there’s all the old boats and barges sadly rusting away,and I’m sure one of them is the barge where Mort almost got married.
Well done on securing the books.

Found this in World of Books which is UK based looks like the hardback seems a lot but the condition is very good

The Uncle Mort's North Country episodes are disappearing from BBC Sounds app . Each is 15 minutes long so if you had a spare hour Chuffer [if you are in the lock keepers station it would help pass the time] give them a listen and it might help you decide if you want to get the book given the price. :)

Thanks captain I’ll do that.
Coincidentally the actress that played Olive Scrimshaw was in two episodes of Last of the Summer Wine,she was the waitress in Paté and Chips,and a housewife in Forked Lightning.

The book is brilliant can't recommend it highly enough the writing is so funny for example . Mort and Carter are sitting on his allotment when the Sun makes an appearance . Mort remarks " I can't stand the sun , it's such a bloody show off , the bloody thing comes swaggering into the sky like some Scouse bucko[ young cheeky lad] with a shiny backside to his trouser seat and screams ' Hey look at me lads drop everything you are doing and come outside and look at me !!" " I prefer a good thin drizzle, give me that any day, it knows what to do, it just gets on with the job of making everyone miserable ! " :)

Well that made me laugh just reading that extract,what brilliant writing.
Uncle Mort would have been so at home in Summer Wine,I love his gloominess and lack of enthusiasm for anything,when he visits Pats mum for the first time,when she she’s him she remarks to the others “ooh hasn’t he got gloomy features”
The book sounds a joy to read.

Listened to that radio broadcast episode 'Dog Days' over the weekend, Captain Mort :29:. Got two more episodes to go to finish North Country. Planning to get in as much of the radio casts in before my book arrives.

Really liking the extra content for the show! Some of the voice actors are different and it takes me a moment to figure out who is who. Since obviously it is radio and not tele I cannot see the character who is talking.

The radio broadcast of A Touch of Daniel was great, almost like watching the TV first series. A few saucy parts in it but nothing worse than on TV nowadays. Could imagine it being a little more racy back in the day.

Now I am believing the whole thing is from Carter's perspective. Unsure where the title I Didn't Know You Cared comes from specifically yet.

Well that made me laugh just reading that extract,what brilliant writing.
Uncle Mort would have been so at home in Summer Wine,I love his gloominess and lack of enthusiasm for anything,when he visits Pats mum for the first time,when she she’s him she remarks to the others “ooh hasn’t he got gloomy features”
The book sounds a joy to read.

I know you like Sadly madly Bradley they could have developed Bradley as a full time character much in the style of Mort.

Back