On the Mend

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the get well messages, pleased to say I am on a slow road to recovery, started feeling rough just over a week ago and went downhill from there, by Monday I was in a real sorry state ending up in A&E, lost the use of my legs and had no upper body strength which was a worry, they were very efficient and I was prodded, stuck with needles, x-rayed and the conclusion from the bloods was a bacterial infection and high doses of antibiotics, which should knock it on the head in two to three weeks, so over the next week or so I will be back on the forum
Terry

Thanks for all the get well messages, pleased to say I am on a slow road to recovery, started feeling rough just over a week ago and went downhill from there, by Monday I was in a real sorry state ending up in A&E, lost the use of my legs and had no upper body strength which was a worry, they were very efficient and I was prodded, stuck with needles, x-rayed and the conclusion from the bloods was a bacterial infection and high doses of antibiotics, which should knock it on the head in two to three weeks, so over the next week or so I will be back on the forum
Terry
So glad to hear, quite scary I'm sure. Hopefully you'll be able to resume your tapdancing very soon.....

Glad to hear you are recovering Terry , wow that is so unnerving how the hell do you get infected with a bacterial infection and from what source and indeed what bacteria? It's just baffling but thankfully they have identified it and are able to treat you . Be great to have you back on the Forum when you feel ready. :)

Glad to hear it, Terry. That sounds a lot like what I had that was diagnosed as sepsis. Glad you were diagnosed and treated quickly. Hope the antibiotic isn't ototoxic, as one of mine was.

... how the hell do you get infected with a bacterial infection ...

As far as I could tell when it happened to me, this falls into the category of "stuff happens," to state it politely. None of the medical people I dealt with had a better answer, neither two years ago when my surgical incision was badly infected, nor last November when I had sepsis from a kidney infection which caused one of the kidneys to fail until a stent was inserted.

Our world is coated with bacteria - some infectious, some harmless to humans. All we can do to prevent constant infections is keep our immune systems active, (but not overactive or we get into allergy territory), and wash our hands frequently.

Hang in there!! I hope that you're feeling better. The antibiotics should do their thing!! Many years ago when I was still working, I'd fall asleep on the bus home every day and sometimes almost miss my stop! That was a clue. I ended up in the hospital getting four bags of someone else's blood. I'm glad to hear that you are getting treatment.

Slow improvements on a daily basis, appetite has started to return, still fuzzy headed though some would say that is normal for me
So glad you’re feeling a little better you’ve been conspicuous in your absence on this forum :)

Slow improvements on a daily basis, appetite has started to return, still fuzzy headed though some would say that is normal for me
It was several weeks after my diagnosis with sepsis before I could consume anything more challenging than clear soup. Hang in there. I've read that full recovery from severe bacterial infection takes about 18 months.

Terry
So glad your on the road to recovery plenty of rest

Back