Others sitcoms very similar to Last of the Summer Wine

wstol

Dedicated Member
Inspired by the recent I Didn't Know You Cared topic, I wondered if you could name some sitcoms that had very close similarities to LOTSW.

I Didn't Know You Cared, in my opinion, is the most similar to LOTSW. John Comer plays it exactly like Sid, and the show just feels like early LOTSW, with direction from Bernard Thompson, the outdoor locations, strong northern women, and the men in the form of a trio again, not doing any work.

The only other sitcom I can think of that comes anywhere close, though to a lesser extent, is Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggit - again made at the same time as early LOTSW and IDKYC, again outdoor locations in Yorkshire, tough women, and layabout men.

Open All Hours had some similarities, but it's quite different to LOTSW as well.

Anyone name some other programmes similar to LOTSW?

I've not seen much of 'I didn't know you cared' but do like what I saw. Not yet seen Selwyn Froggit. Of course 'Open all hours' is another favorite.

The show 'Still Game' could be considered similar to LotSW. It is about some retired folks up in Scotland centered around two main characters. 'Waiting for God' is another good one. I'm not sure if you are seeking shows on older folks as the main characters, a strong trio cast, or ones that wandered about their countryside / locale versus staying in a few staged indoor sets.

I'm interested in more shows similar to LotSW as well, so look forward to replies and suggestions.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
I enjoyed the series The Gaffer with Bill Maynard,one of those comedies that draws you into the plot

I've not seen much of 'I didn't know you cared' but do like what I saw. Not yet seen Selwyn Froggit. Of course 'Open all hours' is another favorite.

The show 'Still Game' could be considered similar to LotSW. It is about some retired folks up in Scotland centered around two main characters. 'Waiting for God' is another good one. I'm not sure if you are seeking shows on older folks as the main characters, a strong trio cast, or ones that wandered about their countryside / locale versus staying in a few staged indoor sets.

I'm interested in more shows similar to LotSW as well, so look forward to replies and suggestions.

Cheers,
Rick

There are strong hints that there could be a new series of Still Game, which I found to be very good

There are shows with some similarities but none are that close.

As Rick mentioned, I think of Waiting for God as possibly the closest show to Summer Wine.

Also, a few years back, by public television station aired The Old Guys.

I don't link these shows to Summer Wine only because they feature an older cast, but that they feature older folk causing mischief and often acting like adolescents.

Lastly, I realize Vicar of Dibley is in a different region than Yorkshire, but that village setting is quaint, like Holmsfirth and the surrounding area is often portrayed.

It is probably good that the "dislike" label was removed from this site with my last comment.But I am just a Yank who has never been across the pond yet, so bare with me.

Back