Peter Sallis

RIP Peter Sallis. I hope you are enjoying a happy birthday pint up there in the clouds with the rest of the gang. Had not realized your birthday is the same as a friend and neighbors.

On the subject of Wallace and Gromit, I wonder how a younger Wallace and Gromit might be with David Fenwick from First of the Summer Wine as the voice.

I say younger because David is younger than Peter was when he did Wallace. The voice change would be evident. Plus that would differentiate the two Wallace's. Might bring in a newer crowd. The talent of Nick Park and Aardman Animation team is amazing. Would love to see more of their work. I am sure there are more hi-jinks the duo could go on while still preserving Peter's memory.

Last edited:
They have a new movie Early Man about to be released into the Cinema within days I am not sure if you have seen Creature Comforts Rick but if not that series was effectively the big break for Nick Park and Aardman and is really good. They had dipped their toe in the water with a character called Morph is a series called Vision On famous for the Gallery where children sent their art to the show and if good enough it was displayed on screen . They also dabbled in Music Videos when MTV came along and created films for Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer and Nina Simon's My baby just cares for me. In terms of Wallace and Gromit they broke the mould and after Peter sadly died they broke it for good like so many shows [see thread about Still Open All Hours] they will hopefully just leave it alone .

I don't think they have made any more W & G so only ever voiced by Peter.

My understanding is that someone else has voiced Wallace in some small appearances since 2010. For example, IMDB lists Ben Whitehead as Wallace for a program called “Prom 20: Wallace & Gromits Musical Marvels” that aired in 2012. Wikipedia says Whitehead replaced Peter Sallis as Wallace after 2010 and is the current voice of the character. They haven’t done any new longer films with those characters, but they haven’t retired them.

Last edited:
The Prom 20 refers to the number in the Promenade concert programme held yearly on a variety of classical musical themes , aired on the BBC , so in essence it was a musical concert . They air in honour of Sir Henry Wood the first conductor of the original Promenade concerts that were held in the Queens Hall with Wood as the appointed conductor[and much more] .

It appears that Ben Whitehead was used by Nick Park and Aardman as the voice of Wallace only for a video game they produced called Grand Adventures and was never used in any of the shorts or films, presumably because Peter Sallis had no desire to voice a video game . The classical concert, that was themed on W&G , had a few animated sequences played on a screen behind the orchestra which Ben Woodman voiced but I assume Peter Sallis either was not well enough or declined to feature in the performance .

I think in honour of Peter's contribution they have retired W&G from any feature length films or shorts.

..... They had dipped their toe in the water with a character called Morph is a series called Vision On famous for the Gallery where children sent their art to the show and if good enough it was displayed on screen .......

Yes used to like Morph who started in 1977 long before W & G, with Tony Hart.

Back