Ronnie Hazlehurst

wstol

Dedicated Member
We often talk about Ronnie Hazlehurst on this forum, so thought it wouldn't hurt to talk about him again.

He made quite a few on screen appearances conducting his orchestra - The Two Ronnies spring to mind.

One of his more bizarre appearances was during the 1977 Eurovision Song Contest where he conducted the music for the UK entry.

He wore a bowler hat, red carnation, and instead of using a baton, he conducted his orchestra with a rolled-up umbrella!

Ronnie Hazelhurst

He is the unsung hero of a lot of BBC shows . In LOTSW its not the main theme pieces its the incidental music that is so astute . It doesn't take much, I love the little snippet to portray a mouse scampering across open ground when Howard sneaks out to go to Cleggys beautifully complimented by Robert Fyfe in the way he runs mouse like between the houses . The only analogy I can think of was Carl Stalling, who was responsible for all the music and great interludes in the Looney Tune cartoons.

The snippet from An English Country Garden that's played when the repo man walks through the allotments toward Tom's shed always makes me smile.

Ah, many many thanks for that. I did manage to download what purports to
be the 1977 Eurovision song contest but could not find Ronnie in it.
Probably just incomplete??

That Eurovision appearance can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcs3JG90nZc

He certainly was a hugely talented musician and when I watched Why Does Norman Clegg Buy Ladies' Elastic Stockings? the other day, I was struck again by how cleverly he could twist the theme tune to make it sound the Dallas music.

I think they got into a bit of trouble over that music. Something to do with it being to close to the Dallas theme. But it all blew over in the end.

I think they got into a bit of trouble over that music. Something to do with it being to close to the Dallas theme. But it all blew over in the end.

The Dallas producers thought it was their theme until they were told to listen carefully to the melody!

Ronnie Hazelhurst

Closest I have seen was C4 show The Last Leg where they have organised a Sousaphone player to follow various people who have been extremely outspoken and have proffered unacceptable suggestions in the extreme the latest were Jeremy Hunt and Donald Trump.

Back