Series 8, Episode 5; The Woollenmills of Your Mind

wstol

Dedicated Member
A nice little episode this.

One thing I notice every time is the scene where Nora tips water over Compo from the upstairs window.

It appears there is a departure from film to video.

I imagine this was to benefit the studio audience, so they could see it live, and also to save Bill Owen getting soaked one night presumably around winter time.

Re: Series 8, Episode 5; The Woolenmills of Your Mind

"there was a man, he had a wife and she was double jointed....."!
Another smashing episode this, really enjoyable. It's in amongst some of the greatest ever in this series and still holds it's own.
8.9/10 from me.

A nice little episode this.

One thing I notice every time is the scene where Nora tips water over Compo from the upstairs window.

It appears there is a departure from film to video.

I imagine this was to benefit the studio audience, so they could see it live, and also to save Bill Owen getting soaked one night presumably around winter time.

Please excuse the spelling of woollenmills on the main heading, I find this forum will not allow you to edit posts after you have logged out.

I too love this one, but I could never understand what the title was refiring too!!?

"there was a man, he had a wife and she was double jointed....."!
Another smashing episode this, really enjoyable. It's in amongst some of the greatest ever in this series and still holds it's own.
8.9/10 from me.

Agreed Rob this also was one of the best series of all of them.

Yes, indeed, surely just a play on the song, "The Windmills of Your Mind" from "The Thomas Crowne Affair". Mind there was a fair amount of time between the two, 1968 to 1985.

Yes, indeed, surely just a play on the song, "The Windmills of Your Mind" from "The Thomas Crowne Affair". Mind there was a fair amount of time between the two, 1968 to 1985.

The song was re-recorded by a band called The Colour Field and released in 1984/5 and was a hit. This could well have had a bearing on it.

The song was re-recorded by a band called The Colour Field and released in 1984/5 and was a hit. This could well have had a bearing on it.
Thanks Rob , I knew it was re-recorded about then! Although the age I am I remember Noel Harrisons version best!

By the time "Woollen Mills of Your Mind" was produced there had been 38 recordings of "Windmills of Your Mind" in English alone (never mind French and Dutch) including in 1984 those by Elaine Paige and Paul Mauriat, much more likely to have influenced Roy Clarke. In other words, it had become very much a standard. To date there have been at least 66 recordings in English and even one in Croatian.

The Colourfield recording of "Take" (for which "Windmills" was the B side) only made 70th in UK charts. Does that count as a hit?

By the time "Woollen Mills of Your Mind" was produced there had been 38 recordings of "Windmills of Your Mind" in English alone (never mind French and Dutch) including in 1984 those by Elaine Paige and Paul Mauriat, much more likely to have influenced Roy Clarke. In other words, it had become very much a standard. To date there have been at least 66 recordings in English and even one in Croatian.

The Colourfield recording of "Take" (for which "Windmills" was the B side) only made 70th in UK charts. Does that count as a hit?

I remember the colourfield.Good band I have a copy of thinking of you somewhere
in my loft

I remember the colourfield.Good band I have a copy of thinking of you somewhere
in my loft
good choice there amos. Castles In The Air is also a corking tune

Thanks for explaining the title. Glad I found this thread. This is one of the few episodes I had not easily spotted a clear link between the title and the content of the show. I knew of the song, but do not know it well enough to connect to the episode.

Thanks for the link Marianna. Good song. Almost has me thinking it could have made a good early James Bond intro theme tune.

Thanks for the link Marianna. Good song. Almost has me thinking it could have made a good early James Bond intro theme tune.

It was the intro tune(as sung by Noel Harrison ) to the film The Thomas Crown Affair starring Steve Mcqueen. :)

Back