Series Fifteen.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Some really good ones in this series, I love Stop That Bath and How To Clean Your Pipes.

I can't really say I don't like any of them in this one. I think the trio are at their best throughout the whole series.

Two episodes in this series that I am not wild about. The Black Widow and Gipsies . They are good in their way but they just don't grab me like the others. ::)

I quite liked "The Black Widow" along with "Welcome to Earth" and "Stop that Bath" all in all a good series.

Another good series, my favourite from this year was Where There's Smoke, There's Barbecue. I love the scene in the cafe where Compo takes Howard's hammer and strikes his leg where he's hiding the timber.

Another good series, my favourite from this year was Where There's Smoke, There's Barbecue. I love the scene in the cafe where Compo takes Howard's hammer and strikes his leg where he's hiding the timber.

Lucky he wasn't short sighted and missed :30:

To me there are some classic "2nd Foggy period" episodes in series 15. "How to Clear Your Pipes," "Stop that Bath," and "Aladdin Gets on your Wick" stand out (though the latter episode has some uncomfortable ethnic stereotyping).

I like "Welcome to Earth" well enough, but think they way overemphasize John Cleese being in it given his very brief post-credits cameo.

In what way do they over-emphasise John Cleese being in it?

In the original showing he even used an alias in the credits.

I suspect Alan JW Bell meddled with the credits for the subsequent repeats.

I like the Black Widow and Welcome to Earth best.

I thought that business in Have You Got a Light Mate with the security lights was embarrassing.

It must be just me, but I always loved There are Gypsies at the Bottom of Our Garden. For me it is easily in the top five of the Foggy episodes after Series 12. I can put my finger on it, but I just think the whole episode is great with the gypsies, the giant woodpecker (how Foggy started thinking it was a rare woodpecker, I have no idea), to Dewhurst Nature Tours, to everyone discovering Howard and Marina in the end.

Also, there is the sentimental ending with Compo kissing Nora and Wesley give a rare, warm smile to Edie. I will always stick with this episode.

Where there is Smkoe, There's Barbeque and Black Widow are also good. To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of these episodes lately so I am a little rusty with Series 16. I was just fortunate to catch Gypsies in a rare off day.

In what way do they over-emphasise John Cleese being in it?

In the original showing he even used an alias in the credits.

I suspect Alan JW Bell meddled with the credits for the subsequent repeats.

I can only go by the version I've seen, where they give him notable credit at the beginning, similar to what they give major guest stars (IIRC, anyway.) Then he gets credit again when the credits roll at the end. All before he even makes his 15 second appearance. I realize he's a big name, but its such a tiny and largely inconsequential cameo that even mentioning him (beyond throwing him in with the other "also appeared" list) seems excessive.

I can only go by the version I've seen, where they give him notable credit at the beginning, similar to what they give major guest stars (IIRC, anyway.) Then he gets credit again when the credits roll at the end. All before he even makes his 15 second appearance. I realize he's a big name, but its such a tiny and largely inconsequential cameo that even mentioning him (beyond throwing him in with the other "also appeared" list) seems excessive.

Andrew Vine quotes Alan Bell, "And, of course, there was Kim Bread. His appearance in the closing scene as another alien-spotter who mistakes Compo, Clegg and Foggy for extra-terrestrials, only for them to pelt him with vegetables, prompted a huge, joyously surprised, delighted laugh of recognition from the audience. 'We went up to Shepperton Studios where John Cleese was filming Frankenstein, and we got him at the end of the day,' said Bell. 'It's a really important little part. He used the name Kim Bread and I regret to say that during the remaking of the titles it went back to being John Cleese. We only paid him fifty pounds.' Cleese came up with his off-the-wall pseudonym for the cameo, but it did not last into the finished programme, ..." (p.231).

Apparently the listing of his name at all, not to mention prominently, was the BBC's doing, not Alan Bell's or John Cleese's.

Marianna

The finished titles did show Kim Bread, in smaller letters than the rest of the cast.

I've only ever seen this on the original TV transmission in 1993. It did go out like this.

Every showing since that I have seen has John Cleese, yet I suspect the original version may crop from time to time.

Hello Folks,

It is exactly one week until I report back to work. In addition, I haven't been catching too much of the afternoon showings of Summer Wine because of my fatherly duties of taking my kids out to different activities for the day. My entire summer break consisted of Foggy's second run, from Series 15-18. So I haven't seen the old classics for a while, nor the Seymour years, nor Truly and Billy, etc. However, I am perfectly content on spending my summer catching up with Foggy's second run and getting a deeper feel for this era.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Series 15 earlier this summer for a reason that hasn't been mentioned lately - a lot of Smiler. I love the early Smiler episodes where Compo is so upset about him living miserably with Nora. I think Sringing Smiler, Gypsies, and Aladdin is a particulalry strong stretch of episodes (I missed Stop that Bath, but that might be in there as well).

Smiler may very well be my favorite character outside of the trio. I felt he added a lot to the humor of the show with his pitiful personality and the show eventually suffered with his loss.

A random question - I know Barry had an absence from the show and I can't put my finger on it. When was this? I don't recall if he was in this series off hand but I do recall more of his resence starting either Series 17 or 18.

I am going to visit the Series 18 thread later in the week after a catch a few more episodes.

A random question - I know Barry had an absence from the show and I can't put my finger on it. When was this? I don't recall if he was in this series off hand but I do recall more of his resence starting either Series 17 or 18.
Barry did take a break from the series. He completed series 12 in 1990 with Barry's Christmas. And came back in 1997 in The Love Mobile for season 18. So he was not in series 13-17.

Barry did take a break from the series. He completed series 12 in 1990 with Barry's Christmas. And came back in 1997 in The Love Mobile for season 18. So he was not in series 13-17.

Yes, that sounds right. I recall Glenda making random comments about "my Barry" during that time which caused me not to pick up the fact that he was entirely missing during that time. Then, as of last week, I recall seeing a whole lot of Barry starting with the Love Mobile. For me, it is certaonly a very welcome return.

I think his return appearance was actually in Extra, Extra - the 1996 Christmas Special.

Back