Series Sixteen

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I like pretty much all of these except Adopted By A Stray and The Space Race.

I'm watching Defeat Of The Stoneworm has I type which is one of the great ones in this series I also like The Glory Hole.

Wesley seems to get very cheeky to Nora in Glory Hole and actually makes her cry. poor Nora.

I think this series begins with the special The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti.

Very popular episode with most, but I don't rate it much myself. Perhaps I ought to watch it again.

Glory Hole and Stoneworm are my favourites from this series.

Another good series. "The Glory Hole" "The Defeat of the Stoneworm" and of course "The Suit that Turned Left" with Pearl tarted up as Marina are my favourites.

Defeat of the Stoneworm, Sweet Smell of Excess and Ogleby Hall are the standout episode for me. In Defeat of the Stoneworm Howard actually managed to hoodwink Pearl, which didn't happen very often. Compo getting stuck in the bed was a good caper too.

Another good series. "The Glory Hole" "The Defeat of the Stoneworm" and of course "The Suit that Turned Left" with Pearl tarted up as Marina are my favourites.

I think The Suit that Turned Left may be from the following series.

I like pretty much all of these except Adopted By A Stray and The Space Race.

I'm watching Defeat Of The Stoneworm has I type which is one of the great ones in this series I also like The Glory Hole.

Wesley seems to get very cheeky to Nora in Glory Hole and actually makes her cry. poor Nora.

I agree, especially with the comment about Wesley and Nora. That scene has always really bothered me as it seems entirely out of character for Wesley to be that mean.

Otherwise its a good series. Though I do think they could have done a better job with the motorcycle driver that is supposed to be one of Compo's old girlfriends in "Once in a Moonlit Junkyard." It is so obviously a guy, which is fine (and maybe even fits the joke) in the earlier scenes where we see her/him from a distance, but really falls apart for me during the sequence when Compo is riding on the back of the bike and you see the motorcylists face.

I agree, especially with the comment about Wesley and Nora. That scene has always really bothered me as it seems entirely out of character for Wesley to be that mean.

Otherwise its a good series. Though I do think they could have done a better job with the motorcycle driver that is supposed to be one of Compo's old girlfriends in "Once in a Moonlit Junkyard." It is so obviously a guy, which is fine (and maybe even fits the joke) in the earlier scenes where we see her/him from a distance, but really falls apart for me during the sequence when Compo is riding on the back of the bike and you see the motorcylists face.

Most definitely a man, the lack of hips gives it away. I like the beginning of this one though with Clegg helping Compo on with his jacket, always makes me smile.

Which is the scene with Wesley and Nora? Is it where Wesley painting Nora's kitchen ceiling, and she says something like 'you paint like a mechanic'?

Which is the scene with Wesley and Nora? Is it where Wesley painting Nora's kitchen ceiling, and she says something like 'you paint like a mechanic'?

Yes thats the one, He calls Wally a midget and Nora cries " He was good with pigeons"

Series 16 is one of those Series where I either catch the same episodes or I always end up missing certain episodes. I don't have any DVDs (yet). I rely on the television stations and by coincidence, I either always catch certain episodes or I always miss others.

I always catch Space Ace. I know it is not a very popular one here but I like it. I enjoy the silly guest character. The ending with the spilled paint is a little silly, but still amusing.

Unfortunately, after all these years, I have never caught Defeat of the Stoneworm in its entirety! After watching Summer Wine for about 7 years now, I don't know how that is possible. I only ever caught a glimpse of it a long time ago when I first started watching Summer Wine. It was the scene where I think Clegg and Howard and crouched down, listening for stone worms in the walls of the cafe.

I will catch it one of these days.

In the mean time, I can only stick up for Space Ace.

QUOTE]

Both Sarkus and Pearl comment about Wesley upsetting Nora. I might just "ruffle a few feathers" here but for decades we watch women suich as Nora and Ivy abusing men. Therefor, is it so bad that Wesley gives it back to them just once? Also, wasn't Nora being difficult with Wesley as well?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the female characters givng the barmpots a hard time. Someone has to.

I haven't seen the scene or the episode for a while but I recall it was pretty good.

Both Sarkus and Pearl comment about Wesley upsetting Nora. I might just "ruffle a few feathers" here but for decades we watch women suich as Nora and Ivy abusing men. Therefor, is it so bad that Wesley gives it back to them just once? Also, wasn't Nora being difficult with Wesley as well?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the female characters givng the barmpots a hard time. Someone has to.

I haven't seen the scene or the episode for a while but I recall it was pretty good.

For me, the irony in that scene is that during the LOTSW off season, Gordon Wharmby continued his "day" job as a painter and decorator, and was apparently highly skilled. I haven't seen that episode in a while, but if it looks as though he was doing the job awkwardly it must have taken a lot of acting skill for him to pull off that awkward appearance.

To me, Nora's reaction to Wesley's giving back as good as he got showed that she had had some kind (I wouldn't go so far as to say "tender") feelings toward Wally.

Marianna

QUOTE]

To me it crossed a line, in that Wesley is criticizing a dead husband. I believe the line was "Wally was a midget!" that causes Nora to tear up. Generally speaking, if the other person starts crying you've probably said the wrong thing, right? If the dialogue was written such that Nora came back right away with another jab, that would one thing. Instead we get an emotional response from her that is clearly designed to make the audience sympathetic to her. And, IIRC, the scene ends at that moment.

I'm not saying its a big thing, its just one of those occasional Summerwine moments where Clarke has a character say something that is surprising.

To me it crossed a line, in that Wesley is criticizing a dead husband. I believe the line was "Wally was a midget!" that causes Nora to tear up. Generally speaking, if the other person starts crying you've probably said the wrong thing, right? If the dialogue was written such that Nora came back right away with another jab, that would one thing. Instead we get an emotional response from her that is clearly designed to make the audience sympathetic to her. And, IIRC, the scene ends at that moment.

I'm not saying its a big thing, its just one of those occasional Summerwine moments where Clarke has a character say something that is surprising.

Very good point. I dn't quite see it that way, but the fact that Wally had passed away entered the back of my mind when I wrote that. Then I thought that maybe it was meant to be one of those brief sentimental moments where they acknowledge someone who has passed (like Ivy getting out the picture of Sid in one of the later episodes). However, such a tribute wouldn't have a little insult like that either.

So then, I wonder what was Clarke's reason behind that scene.

Back