Series Twenty Five

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like Glendas new whiny persona in the later episodes but there a couple of good ones in this series.

I like An Apple A Day and Beware Of Laughing At Noras Hats.

I like Miss Davenport I thought it was nice to bring in a friend for Marina and I like the way she gets on with all the ladies.

Maybe Glenda became "whiny" (I don't agree) to make up for Edie not being available to henpeck Barry?? :30: The script around him seemed to need a strong woman to keep him on his toes??

Last edited:
Beware of Laughing at Nora's Hats would be my favourite from this year. I wouldn't rate 25 as a particularly stand out series. Dreadful titles like Barry Becomes a Psychopathic Killer - But Only Part Time and Who's that with Barry and Glenda?- It's not Barry and Glenda do nothing to invite us to like these episodes either. Pining for the good old here!:'(:'(​

NORAH'S HATS is my favourite followed by JURASIC NO PARKING.

Bottom of the list would be a triple tie THINGS TO DO WHEN YOUR WIFE RUNS OFF ETC.
AN APPLE A DAY , SPORES. All boring.

The special ...WIDOW WINSTANLEY ... is as bad.

I've said this before though ,Are we in danger of analysing the life out of the show?? :( ???

I did say "we" ::)

Well, after I posted that I thought of reposting right away. I am leaving a lot of comments on these threads but think there is room for a lot of healthy discussion and debate. I have a handful of select episodes that I absolutely love that never get mentioned at all on this forum and I like the chance to write about them and maybe have a good back and forth discussion omn them.

After a strong Series 24, this series takes a bit of a dive.

I think this is one of a handful of series where the strongest episode might be the first. There are a lot of hilarious scenes with the giant dinosaur. Yes, gone are the days of some of the more “thought-minded” and more dialogue driven humor and now there is the more silly humor with props (The dummy in General’s Last Battle and the dinosaur). However, I love this humor as well. It is not just the silly props and jokes, but it is the great cast that makes it work.

I also thought Spores was a bit bland. However, isn’t that the episode where Glenda insists on Barry taking her out in the country and the lunatic and they meet up with the lunatic raving about (I think) spores? That interaction is great.

An Apple a Day reminds me of the KUA episode where Hyacinth and Richard go out looking for country cottages where they have a wacky, incoherent villager running around causing problems. I also enjoyed the roles of Smiler and Clegg as the financial advisor and Barry as the maniac.

Beware of Laughing at Nora’s Hats is good. It has one of those silly, unrealistic endings with the marching band; however, I think it worked quite well with this episode. I don’t remember the other episodes so well. It may have been because they didn’t stand out.

After a strong Series 24, this series takes a bit of a dive.

I think this is one of a handful of series where the strongest episode might be the first. There are a lot of hilarious scenes with the giant dinosaur. Yes, gone are the days of some of the more “thought-minded” and more dialogue driven humor and now there is the more silly humor with props (The dummy in General’s Last Battle and the dinosaur). However, I love this humor as well. It is not just the silly props and jokes, but it is the great cast that makes it work.

I also thought Spores was a bit bland. However, isn’t that the episode where Glenda insists on Barry taking her out in the country and the lunatic and they meet up with the lunatic raving about (I think) spores? That interaction is great.

An Apple a Day reminds me of the KUA episode where Hyacinth and Richard go out looking for country cottages where they have a wacky, incoherent villager running around causing problems. I also enjoyed the roles of Smiler and Clegg as the financial advisor and Barry as the maniac.

Beware of Laughing at Nora’s Hats is good. It has one of those silly, unrealistic endings with the marching band; however, I think it worked quite well with this episode. I don’t remember the other episodes so well. It may have been because they didn’t stand out.

Some of the themes seemed to magically transport themselves from KOA to LOTSW, could it be that Roy Clarke wrote for both shows? Strong women, weak husbands, etc.

Some of the themes seemed to magically transport themselves from KOA to LOTSW, could it be that Roy Clarke wrote for both shows? Strong women, weak husbands, etc.

He did write both shows and there are reoccurring themes, such as domineering wives, etc. If I do my math correctly, An Apple a Day was written after KUA.

This series was just released on DVD in the U.S. and I finished watching it last night. Way back when I rediscovered LOTSW on YouTube, it was in the midst off this series that they started pulling down videos. So I'd only previously seen a few episodes in this series.

What strikes me is how different the show suddenly became. Between the absence of Thora Hird (who died before this series was filmed) and the very limited appearances of Peter Sallis in most episodes, it has a feel to it that takes time to get used to. I'd argue that the real trio here was actually Truly-Billy-Alvin, with Clegg practically a supporting character. You can also see them struggle to figure out the new dynamic between the ladies, especially since Dora Bryan is rarely around. By the end I felt it was coming together, though.

I'd agree that Nora's Hat is probably my favorite episode.

I was there when they filmed a section of Nora's hat, and when Nora says the Line "Look who's Coming" she was staring directly at me, I turned around and thought nobody is behind me,what is she on about, of course the part where Audrey walks down the road towards Nora was a separate shot

Back