Series Twenty Nine

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I loved Coopers Rules, it was the best post Compo episodes.
I wonder how it would have gone if Cooper had retired and joined the gang on their wonders?

I like Its Never Been 10 years, which of cause it had not, Peter looked genuinely sad when talking about Bill.

I will watch Series 29, but I am not a fan of it. In general, it is all over the place with random guest characters taking over the spotlight for each series.

Cooper's Rules is a great one though. Hopefully it is a sign of more to come with Cooper and Walsh.

All that Glitters is hilarious as well. They were calling for Elvi", right?

Also, I believe it was in "In Which Romance isn't Dead" that has my favorite Clegg. Pardon me for paraphrasing, but Howard is talking to Clegg in Clegg's house about marital advice and Clegg's marriage.

Howard: "But what about romance?"
Clegg: "That was for foreigners".
Despite not being keen on this series as a whole, I do watch it and really enjoy certain episodes. While Clegg and Trully's reduction actually began a few years back, I think this series is the most evident of that.

It's Never Ten Years was an absolute joy to watch.

Been some time since I watched that, but seems to me
it was great up to a point but then got stuck in one
particular episode and mired there. Can't remember the
details so will have to watch it again.

Been some time since I watched that, but seems to me
it was great up to a point but then got stuck in one
particular episode and mired there. Can't remember the
details so will have to watch it again.

Probably Tarzan Of The Towpath, there were a lot of scenes from that one.

I tend to think of this one as the Alvin and Entwistle series because Clegg and Truly were effectively reduced to secondary characters in most episodes, even if that didn't happen officially until Series 30. There's also a heavy reliance on Barry in this series, which makes me wonder if there wasn't a bit of testing going on to see how the audience reacted to different directions they were thinking of going with the series.

Speaking of testing, "Eva's Back in Town" seemed like a setup for Eva becoming a regular character. I can only assume that the character didn't test well or some other reason changed plans. Not being familiar with Shirley Anne Field, I have to say I was surprised to read that she's a highly thought of actress as I found her performance to be less than impressive. Not to mention the unfortunate distraction of her poor facelift.

I remain not a real fan of "It's Never Been Ten Years." As noted by others, the reliance on some episodes and the complete lack of any appearance by anybody but Truly in the third man role is distracting. It's almost like they were under some legal or financial restriction that didn't allow them to show Seymour or Foggy.

As far as episodes I did enjoy, I do find "Enter the Finger" and "Is Jeremy Quite Safe?" to have amusing moments, along with the previously mentioned "Coopers Rules."

That is a very interesting idea, Pearl. It never occurred to me of Cooper retiring and joining the gang. I like it and can really see them getting along well together. He likes to spin tales and I can see him sinking a pint with the others. Then all of them going for a stroll in the countryside in search of the next adventure.

If the gang was therefore Truly , Clegg and Cooper poor Cleggy would struggle to get a word in. Two ex Plods swapping stories, but the contrast would be great. Truly the die hard detective, star of the Met Vs Cooper village bobby , work shy anything to avoid having to apprehend a would be villan.

That is a very interesting idea, Pearl. It never occurred to me of Cooper retiring and joining the gang. I like it and can really see them getting along well together. He likes to spin tales and I can see him sinking a pint with the others. Then all of them going for a stroll in the countryside in search of the next adventure.

Not sure Cooper would be looking for adventure, more a quiet life ....

Back