Series Twenty Six

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say the only ones that stood out to me in this series is Watching The Clock and Lot Number 8.

I feel bad that I can't say anymore on this serie because for me it wasn't one of the best.

I'm sure I'll be put right about it.

I have to say Series 26 has some fine episodes the excellent Roy Barraclough as Mr Crowcroft swain by Nora's Fruitcake , Alvin/Truly/Billy on comb and paper/biscuit tin serenading Nora whilst Crowcroft works his magic . The ever depressing Smiler in Hermoine is brilliant comedy I can imagine it was easy for Stephen Lewis to learn his lines as he spends the episode basically saying " Hermoine" .

Smiler again in Who's that mouse in the Poetry Group as an intellectual adds a great twist to the Howard /Marina saga but the most poignant episode for me, and one that demonstrates the pathos Roy Clarke injects into select episodes , is the Afterthoughts of a Co-op Manager where Cleggy spends the episode trying to remember the name of his Manager who he had a real hatred for until the final scene when Truly , Alvin and Co are having a drink when Clegg announces he no longer hates the man not since he died in the war earning the VC . Defy anyone not to feel the old lump in the throat!

I liked Bobby Ball in The Swan Man and also the new intellectual Smiler in Who's That Mouse in the Poetry Group. I liked the storyline in Little Orphan Howard where he swallows Clegg's story about him being an orphan, I'm struggling here to say nice things about this series and I agree with Pearl, it wasn't one of the best.

I agree with most of what's already been said.Definitely no "stand out " Episodes. Watching the Clock, Hermione and Swan Man are the better ones.:o

"Halt! In the name of the Swan Man of Ilkley!"

Awwww....come on folks, how could you not give more praise to the Swan Man of Ilkley. I love how the Swan Man first meets the gang. They spot him in thje river and generally decide it is best to ignore him. Then isn't it Billy that suddenly breaks the ice with a "How Do?". From that moment they are joined together. I love the part where the Swan Man tries to stand up to the big guy and I love the ending when his raft gets hooked onto the boat.

However, it might not be quite as good as Mouse in the Poetry Group. This is an example of Mrs. Davenport adding quality to the show. She is so enthusiastic about her library endeavors and none of the locals share her passion. Smiler is great along with Truly and the Mouse.

I recall Peruvian wart being really good. Is that the episode with the flute player and the empty police car in neutral? If so, that is great.

Also, isn't Hermoine the one with the Fruitcake? Sorry Captain Clutterbuck, but that is one of the few episodes of Summer Wine that I actually dislike. I can't stand the serenade and the fruit cake story and Nora as a romantic in that situation just doesn't work (IMHO).

Awwww....come on folks, how could you not give more praise to the Swan Man of Ilkley. I love how the Swan Man first meets the gang. They spot him in thje river and generally decide it is best to ignore him. Then isn't it Billy that suddenly breaks the ice with a "How Do?". From that moment they are joined together. I love the part where the Swan Man tries to stand up to the big guy and I love the ending when his raft gets hooked onto the boat.

However, it might not be quite as good as Mouse in the Poetry Group. This is an example of Mrs. Davenport adding quality to the show. She is so enthusiastic about her library endeavors and none of the locals share her passion. Smiler is great along with Truly and the Mouse.

I recall Peruvian wart being really good. Is that the episode with the flute player and the empty police car in neutral? If so, that is great.

Also, isn't Hermoine the one with the Fruitcake? Sorry Captain Clutterbuck, but that is one of the few episodes of Summer Wine that I actually dislike. I can't stand the serenade and the fruit cake story and Nora as a romantic in that situation just doesn't work (IMHO).

Well come back Cod, I think you were hacked by someone who kept agreeing with me :39::39: It was most freaky :02: But glad you regained control :D:D:D:D

Taking them in order Cod, (being pedantic with this one) its Miss Davenport. Peruvian Wart is the one with the fruitcake and the serenade. Hermione is a Smiler tour-de-force where virtually the only words he utters throughout are OHHH and Hermione! He was apparently stood up by her! The flute player appears in Things to Do When Your Wife Runs off With a Turkish Waiter ,not a good one IMO. That episode was in Series 25 BTW Unless you are thinking of the one with the ghostly flute player in What Happened To the Horse? that was series 28.

Last edited:
Well come back Cod, I think you were hacked by someone who kept agreeing with me :39::39: It was most freaky :02: But glad you regained control :D:D:D:D

It reality Pearl, I think I agree with you 50% of the time. I don't think our differences are quite that extreme.

Taking them in order Cod, (being pedantic with this one) its Miss Davenport. Peruvian Wart is the one with the fruitcake and the serenade. Hermione is a Smiler tour-de-force where virtually the only words he utters throughout are OHHH and Hermione! He was apparently stood up by her! The flute player appears in Things to Do When Your Wife Runs off With a Turkish Waiter ,not a good one IMO. That episode was in Series 25 BTW Unless you are thinking of the one with the ghostly flute player in What Happened To the Horse? that was series 28.

Thanks for clarifying, Dick. I don't mind you setting me straight. I don't have all of the episodes down quite like some others here and it has been a while since I have seen some episodes.

Peruvian / Turkish, OK so I get them mixed up! Turkish Waiter and What Happened to the Horse are all great as far as I am concerned, although I am a little off topic because they are not in the series. Like I said earlier, I tend to lump all of the post-Compo, Trully episodes together.

Back