Series Twenty

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't keen on this series, I'm sure I'll get wrong for that but if I had to pick one to watch it would be Beware The Vanilla Slice.

Bill was looking ill be now but he still did a great job.

I agree Pearl, not a great year this. I liked Stanley Lebor in the The Phantom number 14 Bus, Auntie saw him coming a mile away and did him up like a kipper. Beware the Vanilla Slice and The Pony Set were the best of the rest. There were a lot of episodes from now on that seemed to fall a bit flat and the story lines seemed to get a bit directionless, due in no small part I'm sure to the loss of Bill Owen who's presence kept the show ever tight and entertaining.

I'm quite fond of this series, but that may be because it was my introduction to the show. There are some funny moments, though it does suffer from too much Barry and Glenda by this time in the history of the show.

It's also notable for the degree to which we start seeing less of Clegg as they reduced Peter Sallis' load. The irony being that Bill Owen is still working just as much.

As far as specific episodes, I did like the introduction of Billy Hardcastle in "How Errol Flynn . . ." as well as Barry and Smiler dressed up as ladies in "Who's Thrown her Tom Cruise . . ." I think the series ends on a pretty good note with "Ironing Day" with the drunk Smiler and Howard.

I had a rare day off work today since I had to stay home with my sick son. As a result I got to view Optimisim in the Housing Market. I have seen it before but ut has been quite a while ago. This was a very good episode. It is typical of what I really like about this era, where you eventually get the "colletion of barmpots". Wesley joins the trio and after crushing Smiler's foot they eventually help him with Wesley's invention of the tire around the wheel
chair. I love it when they all get together to do something stupid. And of course Barry often joins the guys in the end and as usual, is put into awkward predicaments. The highlight was the ending when Barry flew by his boss (I always love how it is Trully who is getting Barry into these things)

I thought Eli had some great moments, such as tapping Smiler on the foot. (Yes Pearl, that is one way we disagree- I like Eli!)
Side note regarding Eli- I also caught the earlier airing of Tarzan of the Towpath and I love Eli trying to help Howard across the street!

I guess by this time it really is a different show from the first 8 series. I agree that the early Foggy era had most of the classic episodes, but this era is not without its charm.

I'm quite fond of this series, but that may be because it was my introduction to the show. There are some funny moments, though it does suffer from too much Barry and Glenda by this time in the history of the show.

It's also notable for the degree to which we start seeing less of Clegg as they reduced Peter Sallis' load. The irony being that Bill Owen is still working just as much.

As far as specific episodes, I did like the introduction of Billy Hardcastle in "How Errol Flynn . . ." as well as Barry and Smiler dressed up as ladies in "Who's Thrown her Tom Cruise . . ." I think the series ends on a pretty good note with "Ironing Day" with the drunk Smiler and Howard.

I was on my Winter Break from school this past week and I got to view the start of this Series. It has been a while since I have seen it but I really enjoyed the first three episodes. It looks like this is one of the many things I will disagree with Pearl on. Through my many years of watching Summer Wine there are still very few episodes I keep missing for some reason (I could probably count them on one hand). The Secret Scar of Nora Batty is one of them. I was so fortunate to catch it and I loved it. When the opening credits came on and I saw "Special Guest - Keith Cliford, I was stumped. Seeing his debut actually makes me appreciate the character even more. The intensity behind his whole Robin Hood persona was great.

The idea of the lady automatically assuming he was a ghost when he asked "Do you know what time it is" is a bit of a stretch but it led to some really good moments later. I may have missed something earlier in the show, but I didn't quite understand how Smiler, Howard, and Marina all ended up with Robin Hood outfits. I believe Smiler was responding to Billy ad but I am not sure.

I loved Billy and the archery (it has been an even longer time since since I have seen him and I miss him dearly). In the latter years of the show I wish they would have had more archery mishaps with Billy.

Perhaps the funniest thing about this episode is how Nora has a crush on Billy because she thinks he looked like Erroll Flynn. Seeing her all giggly was great, considering how bitter and stoic she is in all the other episodes.

And yes, the Series is a bit formulaic - with the trio being driven around by Wesley, and eventually picked up Barry and putting him int awkward predicaments, and eventually run into Smiler. However, I love that and never get sick of it. I like how Barry is the professional and is always a hurry and on business and the idle guys tell him "it will only be a minute". I have also seen a few episodes before Compo's passing in Series 21 recently on another channel. Between these two series there are scenes where Barry innocently startles Glenda and gets in trouble - also formulaic but hilarious.

Yes. Codfangler, I agree about the bit with Nora and Billy. Good stuff . . hey, we say, she is still female. lol

Yes. Codfangler, I agree about the bit with Nora and Billy. Good stuff . . hey, we say, she is still female. lol

I absolutely love this side of Nora. It was very well played by Kathy Staff.

In previous threads we discussed which episodes were absolutely great. I think I put Secret Scar in this category. Billy and Nora are the highlights but the whole episode is strong from beginning to end.

Back