Shades of Series One!

Marianna

Dedicated Member
As Blamire, Clegg and Compo were walking down the steps beside the cafe in Pâté and Chips, the conversation turned to what a nuisance Jehovah's Witnesses can be. Blamire says,

"I've no time to be stood on the front doorstep discussing biblical criticism. Especially with old hands who are notoriously swift with the Watchtower."

While in Holmfirth a few weeks ago, I walked up to Royd Mount to photograph the house on The Royds where Blamire boarded. I noticed a presentable man chatting with the driver of a parked car, then ringing the doorbell on a house a few yards up Cartworth Road. My first thought was that he was a salesman. After he got no answer at that house, he wandered down and started chatting with me. He turned out to be a Jehovah's Witness! Roy Clarke wrote an accurate line for Blamire relative to that neighborhood.

As soon as he realized that it was useless to proselytize at me, it turned into a pleasant conversation about local history. The previous day I had walked past the former stationmaster's house (and Kingdom Hall next door), and had noticed a couple of old cars parked behind the house. From a distance, one of them seemed to be a Morris Minor Traveller. Both looked as though they could be valuable if they were restored. There was also an old camping caravan that didn't look potentially valuable at all. I asked if the occupant of the house is a collector, and he said that the place is occupied by a hippie commune. Quite a change from its former function!

I'm a member of the Barbara Pym Society, and occasionally I attend a conference. During and afterward, many of us comment on having had a conversation or an experience very similar to one in her novels. We call them "Pym moments". Apparently, I experienced a "Summer Wine moment".

Back