Surprisingly quick Return of the Warrior?

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
It's fairly well known that Truly was a hastily drafted in replacement for Foggy after his shingles outbreak. However on recent rewatches of Foggy's return episodes it's rather apparent that many were written with Mr Utterthwaite in mind instead. What are people's thoughts on this and when does our Corporal Signwriter properly re-establish himself in his own right?

I think that the stories around Brians departure are a little hazy (or foggy :D) He was supposed to be a very temperamental actor so it could be Roy didn't really know who he'd be writing for. It wouldn't surprise me if the shingles story was just to cover a diva strop! :D

I take it you mean Series 12?
I didn't really notice much written with Seymour in mind myself.
I think they knew the year before that Foggy was coming back (1989 Xmas Special).

Which episodes or scenes make you think of Seymour?

That's the one wstol, the eggs were a nice foreshadowing but could have been last minute additions too. For me at least sometimes Foggy's dialogue is too kindly and not always with a military slant for a start,he has almost instant familiarity with characters introduced in his absence along with their begrudging acceptance of him and on occasion I'm sure I've heard 'Suddenly Seymour' theme in some of his speeches.

As for the cover story Barry it would stack up well particularly if they wanted to keep the door open for future Foggy daze to come.

For me, Series 12, and to some extent Series 13, does still feel like the Seymour Years in the way the show was made. Series 12 still used videotape for internal scenes. (Series 13 was entirely videotape I think).

Series 14, for me, had a very different feel to it, and was made in a style that lasted the rest of the decade. Being all shot on film, and the show relying on a huge cast of supporting characters including a now regular Auntie Wainwright, it was now a very different programme.

Back