Sybel's Knitting.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Merry xmas everyone, I'm finishing my day off be watching Getting Sam Home, love this one, I've noticed that when Sybel is knitting in the hospital she's knitting when she should be pearling.

I really wish they'd have has Lily Bless Her in more episodes, she'd have scared the hell out of Howard :D

Merry xmas everyone, I'm finishing my day off be watching Getting Sam Home, love this one, I've noticed that when Sybel is knitting in the hospital she's knitting when she should be pearling.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Maybe the pattern called for garter stitch instead of stockinette. I don't remember if she was using two needles, a set of sock needles or a circular one. If it was sock needles or circular, knitting every round produced stockinette without having to think about it.

I very much prefer that technique. It eliminates the assembly step at the end and it's so much faster that I haven't knitted anything flat since learning about circular knitting.

I really wish they'd have has Lily Bless Her in more episodes, she'd have scared the hell out of Howard

That would have been so much fun!

Marianna

She had two needles and was knitting over a pearl and cable pattern, would have stuck out like a saw thumb.

She had two needles and was knitting over a pearl and cable pattern, would have stuck out like a saw thumb.

It certainly would have. Maybe we're supposed to pay attention to the comedy, not to the details! I hadn't noticed, but I couldn't quote any of the verbal comedy either, although I can clearly visualize the physical comedy. That's probably why my most absorbing hobby is photography instead of writing.

Marianna

Marianna[/QUOTE]
"Maybe the pattern called for garter stitch instead of stockinette. I don't remember if she was using two needles, a set of sock needles or a circular one. If it was sock needles or circular, knitting every round produced stockinette without having to think about it.

I very much prefer that technique. It eliminates the assembly step at the end and it's so much faster that I haven't knitted anything flat since learning about circular knitting"

That's what I was going to say:me:.... :16::biggrin:

I still remain unsure of how much I like Getting Sam Home, but I did watch it recently and one thing I was struck by is that I'm becoming more sympathetic towards Sybil. I always liked her acknowledgement of Lily at the end, but in rewatching it I think her behavior prior is a desperate attempt to avoid facing the reality of her husband's situation and later death. She clings to her normal rude behavior towards him while inside I think it is tearing her up.

There are many times when knitting or handiwork is called for in the script and the actress, an accomplished knitter or embroiderer just brings in her current project. Joan Hixon who played Miss Marple was an accomplished knitter and she knits during some of her scenes to fill out her character creation. Many actresses take up embroidery to fill in the time between scenes and at times, when appropriate, work on their project during a scene. Two women have a serious tete-a-tete before a fireplace and one works on her embroidery But perhaps this is the one time the actress was not accomplished in anything and had a quicky knitting lesson before the scene.

I still remain unsure of how much I like Getting Sam Home, but I did watch it recently and one thing I was struck by is that I'm becoming more sympathetic towards Sybil. I always liked her acknowledgement of Lily at the end, but in rewatching it I think her behavior prior is a desperate attempt to avoid facing the reality of her husband's situation and later death. She clings to her normal rude behavior towards him while inside I think it is tearing her up.

I love the end scene when Sybil lets Lily Bless Her in the car, I'm not sure about her being a soft centre, in one scene Compo says " She's a hard b***h is Sybil" I don't think Sam would have been having his "twice weekly frolic with Lily Bless Her" if she "had brought the same determination as she did to get into every corn to the marriage bed" plus the fact she kept him in the shed when he died was a bit of a giveaway to her inner thoughts on poor Sam anyway I love Getting Sam Home. :D

"Maybe the pattern called for garter stitch instead of stockinette. I don't remember if she was using two needles, a set of sock needles or a circular one. If it was sock needles or circular, knitting every round produced stockinette without having to think about it.

I very much prefer that technique. It eliminates the assembly step at the end and it's so much faster that I haven't knitted anything flat since learning about circular knitting"

That's what I was going to say:me:.... :16::biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Help - this all sounds incredibly technical.

I shall have to start checking to see if Wesley is tinkering with the correct part of the car .....

Help - this all sounds incredibly technical.

I shall have to start checking to see if Wesley is tinkering with the correct part of the car .....

Don't worry your pretty little head Barmpot, its women's talk :16:

Don't worry your pretty little head Barmpot, its women's talk :16:

I wouldn't let anyone off that easily. There's nothing to prevent men from knitting nor women from auto repair and other 'manly' pursuits. (Not that I've ever attempted auto repair — I don't like getting all greasy.)

Marianna

I wouldn't let anyone off that easily. There's nothing to prevent men from knitting nor women from auto repair and other 'manly' pursuits. (Not that I've ever attempted auto repair — I don't like getting all greasy.)

Marianna

Its easier "Letting him off" than explaining knitting to him, life too short to be honest, don't much care to car repairs either, its a bit like having to listen to Foggy's war stories.

Its easier "Letting him off" than explaining knitting to him, life too short to be honest, don't much care to car repairs either, its a bit like having to listen to Foggy's war stories.

No need for verbal explanations. If he or anyone else were really interested they could search 'knitting tutorials' and retrieve page after page of free videos for all skill levels.

Marianna

Marianna[/QU
I may be showing too much of my age, but didn't Rosey Grier knit? Big American football player and somehow affiliated with the Kennedy family. I agree with you Marianna.

Back