Tea mugs.

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
What is the opinion of other people regarding tea mugs that are black inside? To bleach or not to bleach (that is the question )? :confused2: :eek2:

LADS....you want to see some of my mates cups here at the docks !!!..
When you look into the cups you would think that Ken Dodd is living in there.....flies buzz over the cups....and drop dead into them !!!...
They just wash them under a cold tip....remove the hairy gunge...the re use !!!.
Us scouse dockers....hard as nails !!!!....no one is ever off sick......they all have iron constitutions !!!......but the health inspector would close us down !!.
x!

Since I recently got my first mug that is black inside I will keep an eye on this thread for any helpful info. It is a nice mug that I do not wish to damage if bleach is not called for. Is bleach something you normally use on your mugs, Dick?

Worked with a guy who had cultivated the tannin on the inside of his tin mug he used for his tea for years . One day a lady in the team cleaned it until it was back to pristine white with blue rim . He absolutely went off it , we worked in a quadrangular building that had a sort of courtyard in the centre and in his temper he through it forcefully out the office window and it crashed to the ground severely denting it where it remained rusting for years .

I've always thought if that's what it does to the inside of a mug, imagine what our insides must look like with a lifetime of tea drinking!!!?!?

Bleach doesn't clean it just takes the colour out of the stain. Use washing powder, leave it soaking over night and it'll dissolve it.

Peri, your weak tea story reminds me of when I was at Uni. At the time we lived in the country, so I moved in with my bachelor Uncle who resided in Perth, our capital city.

In those days you could get "instant" tea...like instant coffee. (Horrible stuff it was) He also liked his tea very weak, he would only use 1 or 2 granules of the "tea" in the boiling water, add a couple of saccharine tablets and a splash of milk.

I decided one day to make him a "special" cup of tea...exactly as he did it, WITHOUT any tea! Just hot water, milk and what I thought were his saccharine tablets. He drank the stuff and didn't notice any difference so I told him what I had done.

He just laughed, but then pointed out that the tablets I had added were not saccharine, but ASPRIN which he kept in an old packet.
Didn't get a headache for weeks after that! :01:

@Brian Johns I think you can still get instant tea today, I've certainly had it within the last few years - awful stuff as you say!

The worst tea I've had is what you get out of those cheap vending machines :eek2:

When working we had a shared fridge for individual's food and drink including milk which always got used . I was forever going to get the milk I had bought and finding it gone or used extensively . To combat it and find the culprits I put a lot of tabasco sauce in the bottle and mixed it well. You can put a lot in 4 pints as it doesn't show up as red but gives it some heat . It did the trick there was a Mexican wave of people in the room screaming because there mouth was on fire . Happy Days.

Back