The 1970s in Sitcomland

bigcat

Dedicated Member
I'm watching some Britbox here on the other side of the pond. Catching some of the first color year of Dad's Army, I'd seen some of the black and white years before, and Rising Damp. To these non-British eyes they seem very strange as in a world I have no understanding of. Last of the Summer Wine in season three and beyond somewhat floats above culture in a fantasy land like the best of PG Wodehouse. Dad's Army and Rising Damp are clearly based much more in their time and place, though Dad's Army was looking backwards even then.

What was it like to watch sitcoms in the 70s in England? Are they still enjoyed? What shows would be interesting to watch from this period?

Thanks.

Comedy in the 70s was pretty good but you have to remember we had like 3 channels so you were pretty much a captive audience. Rising Damp was on a little later and my mother thought it was not very suitable for kids, I know very tame now but we're talking 50 years ago so I didn't actually watch it until I was older but loved it. Dads Army was my dads thing and with only one tv in the house we were doubley a captive audience, I wasn't that keen on it but dad loved it because his dad was in the Home Guard so I think it resonated with him. His favourite was Last of the Summer Wine but we weren't allowed to watch it until it was on before the watershed. We did watch Are you Being Served and we used to like that. The Good Life was another one we watched so was Steptoe and Son. Nearest and Dearest was a good and The Rag Trade so there was a few we liked to watch, all dated now and some wouldn't be made nower days for various reasons.

Thank you for taking the time to share with me! That helps me gain some understanding.
I'm not really seeing the humor in Dad's Army but it does interest me historically as a sort of somewhat comic version of what it was like on the homefront during WW2. I listen to old time American radio and that has actual broadcasts from that time period so it is interesting to compare.
I think I'm starting to understand Rising Damp a bit and some of the characters. It is a time and place I don't quite 'get' but I think the characters are interesting. I'll keep watching.
I've definitely enjoyed Good Life and Are You Being Served and of course Last of the Summer Wine. Haven't really watched the others you mentioned. I'll look them up and see what I can find about them.

Sorry if I messed up your night!

Lol no you didn't at all but I'm trying to remember comedies I used to watch, my dad loved comedy programmes so I'm sure there are more. Some good ones in the 80s too.
If you like war time stories my dad used to tell us that when Grandad was in the Home Guard he was issued with a rifle but the bullets had to be kept locked in a shed 2 miles away, we used laugh that any invading Germans would have to wait until they could get them from the shed.
My dad said Dads Army was very accurate in the way it potraid the Home Guards but mostly without the comedy.

Thanks. That is a great story!

Any thoughts you have about 80s sitcoms would be appreciated as well. I got myself a Britbox subscription for my birthday so poking around at some of the things they have. Quite a selection!

As for 80s comedy, Never The Twain and you HAVE to watch Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, that's an absolute must, You Rang M'Lord was really good so was Oh Doctor Beaching. Just to name a few.
Oh and Ever Decreasing Circles was brilliant.

Last edited:
Think you've hit the nail on the head there, often less is more where comedies are concerned.

Great example of that, which is the beautifully observed , with a small cast , I give you Early Doors . For those who have not seen it its typical of thousands of local pubs and how the characters interact with each other in them . Two x 6 episodes all beautifully crafted showing that sometimes simple what you might consider inane banter is just so funny.

Great example of that, which is the beautifully observed , with a small cast , I give you Early Doors . For those who have not seen it its typical of thousands of local pubs and how the characters interact with each other in them . Two x 6 episodes all beautifully crafted showing that sometimes simple what you might consider inane banter is just so funny.
I love it too, it's a variation on the Royale Family fly on the wall idea executed brilliantly of course it had the same writer in Craig Cash. Have you ever seen the comedy Rovers which was also written by him about a struggling non league side ? It only ran for one series but definitely is worth watching!

Back