The Church wall.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I've never noticed this before, the wall of the church opposite the square seems to be no more than a few yards from the Cafe. From The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper.
1vmLMSB.jpg

I've never noticed this before, the wall of the church opposite the square seems to be no more than a few yards from the Cafe. From The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper.

One of the books on Last of the Summer Wine commented on the earlier stage set for the cafe interior having the 'church wall' backdrop unrealistically close. You'd think they would have fixed it by the third season, though!

I hadn't particularly noticed until you pointed it out, but it makes that wide square look like a mere ginnel.

Marianna

I noticed that myself during a recent watching of that episode. That particular episode it really stands out, but the odd thing is they had episodes before and right after where the wall is a lot further away. My guess is that for some reason they had it closer for that particular scene.

Each series would have a new set built - simply because it was cheaper than storage, and to keep the carpenters in work.

For The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper, I would suggest space was limited on that day of studio recording - because there were a lot of other interior sets also used - the pub, the corridor, the bedroom and I think the dining room too, from memory, so a lot of scenery for a half hour programme in front of an audience.

Forked Lightening the previous season had a more accurate representation.
UkDIsv7.jpg

Another thing about the image - the door of the cafe is virtually in the corner of the building. But the cafe interior extends well past that! A TARDIS obviously.

Back