The last great series

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Here is something a lot of us will have a different opinion on. The PBS rotation in Maryland is currently airing the second half of Series 28 (2007). It is a sad moment for me because I feel it is the last great series of the show. I know there are a lot of people in the forum that would consider the entrance of Hobbo as the end of the great years. However, I don't want to start bashing Hobbo simply because it has been done so much.

From what I recall, Series 29, 2008, is OK. However, it is an odd time. I recall watching it before that each episode had different main characters. Some examples are the cops in Cooper's Rules and Jeremy in "Is Jeremy Quite Safe". It seems like Clarke and the producers were scrambling to come up with a good combination as they new Clegg and Truly's times were numbered. It just seemed like a strange time.

I consider Series 28 great for such episodes as Second Stag Night of Doggy Wilkinson, In Which Howard Gets Double Booked, and What Happened to the Horse. In this series, Clegg's time on the show has already been drastically cut and Billy is gone. However, Truly keeps the show going strong with Entwistle and Alvin behind him.

I know a lot of you would feel the last great Summer Wine series ended with Compo or Foggy. What are your thoughts?

In my view series 29 is no worse than 28, all in all they are about equal.

I think the show went though so many cast changes (Not suprising seeing that they were all OAPs) that some times it took a while to get used to the new ones.
Some of the new cast were really good, like Miss Davenport, and some not so good.
But for me the best will always be the ones with Compo,Foggy and Clegg especally the ones with Wally and Sid.
With some of the later ones it was like watch a differant show, still a great show but differant.
I'm sure I like Hobbo so much but the writing was still spot on and the huge cast helped, I think its safe to say there is not another show on TV today that will ever match Last of The summer Wine.

But for me the best will always be the ones with Compo,Foggy and Clegg especally the ones with Wally and Sid.
With some of the later ones it was like watch a differant show, still a great show but differant.

My feelings exactly!

I think the show went though so many cast changes (Not suprising seeing that they were all OAPs) that some times it took a while to get used to the new ones.
Some of the new cast were really good, like Miss Davenport, and some not so good.
I'm sure I like Hobbo so much but the writing was still spot on and the huge cast helped, I think its safe to say there is not another show on TV today that will ever match Last of The summer Wine.

Excellently stated Susan!

Today I had a mishap with recording and only caught the end of Must Be A Good Dancer. As I have said before, I appreciate all the era's but my favorite is the 200-2007 era. Truly has a lot to do with that. As I watch these episodes I get a kick out of the stark contrast with the cool , calm, and authoritative personality of Truly and the foolishness of the others. In episodes like Crowcroft Challenge and Must be a Good Dancer, there Truly is in his derby and trench coat and serious demeanor assisting the likes of Alvin and Smiler in such ridiculous predicaments. Even with a lesser role for Clegg, Truly kept the show strong in my opinion

Susan, I couldn't agree with you more. After reading Andrew Vine's book, I too came to the conclusion that no other series out there will match the class, style, humility and grace of LOTSW. Comedies nowadays rely too heavily on outright vulgarity in a vain attempt at humor, and it is, in my humble opinion, anything but funny. A shame the BBC saw fit to axe the series, but I'm sure it will live on in reruns.

Excellently stated Susan!

Today I had a mishap with recording and only caught the end of Must Be A Good Dancer. As I have said before, I appreciate all the era's but my favorite is the 200-2007 era. Truly has a lot to do with that. As I watch these episodes I get a kick out of the stark contrast with the cool , calm, and authoritative personality of Truly and the foolishness of the others. In episodes like Crowcroft Challenge and Must be a Good Dancer, there Truly is in his derby and trench coat and serious demeanor assisting the likes of Alvin and Smiler in such ridiculous predicaments. Even with a lesser role for Clegg, Truly kept the show strong in my opinion
I really liked Truly but I look at that era like its from another show which is just has good has the other one, I find that way you can watch the new people and enjoy them without comparing them to the originals,if your not comparing people it gives you more time to watch and enjoy the present, I think you accept the changes easier too. Just my thoughts on the subject :D

I really liked Truly but I look at that era like its from another show which is just has good has the other one, I find that way you can watch the new people and enjoy them without comparing them to the originals,if your not comparing people it gives you more time to watch and enjoy the present, I think you accept the changes easier too. Just my thoughts on the subject :D

Once again....excellently stated.

Back