The latest series of Still Open All Hours

wstol

Dedicated Member
How are you all enjoying the second series of Still Open All Hours?

I know some of you weren't impressed with the first series shown about a year ago, in fact I thought the last two of that series were weak.

But this new series so far seems up to scratch again.

Of course, some of the ideas are familiar, but that seems to be the style of Roy Clarke nowadays - each episode is virtually the same.

This format was very evident from the 90s onwards in LOTSW and Keeping Up Appearances.

I think it's a good programme, best thing on.

It is not a programme I would rush home to see. Might watch it if nothing else on. Disappointed in a way I thought it was going to be better.

I always thought although much older Granville would be much more with it, as in his younger days he always wanted better things for the shop, a whole show was devoted to getting a new till, yet they still have the old one, the new cast fit fairly well but they still don't click together, yes due to the lack of any new decent comedy it is worth a watch as I suspect like me many here yearn for real comedy and this maybe as near as we can get

Been back in Hospital so had to watch on I player. Its been ok so far in my view. Would rather watch this than god awful trash like Mrs Browns boys or Citizen Kahn.

Hope you are feeling ok now Amos. Like you i think it is ok I was so surprised the BBC gave it a second series

I always thought although much older Granville would be much more with it, as in his younger days he always wanted better things for the shop, a whole show was devoted to getting a new till, yet they still have the old one, the new cast fit fairly well but they still don't click together, yes due to the lack of any new decent comedy it is worth a watch as I suspect like me many here yearn for real comedy and this maybe as near as we can get

I think you're spot on there.

Though I think with so much time having passed, and in particular the way David Jason has aged in appearance so much, it was perhaps just as well to turn him into Arkwright.

Perhaps if the show had been made 15 or more years ago, things would have been different.

However, it's not unusual for the young man with all the new ideas to gradually turn into the old man before him - look at most families.

There are subtle changes with the shop that would naturally have taken place within the last 30 years since the original programme - a revamped kitchen and replacement windows outside.

I think keeping the till may be out of nostalgia - I think in one episode Granville thought the ghost of Arkwright lived in it!

It would also seem Arkwright died and Leroy was born roughly at the same time - so Granville would certainly have been worried about money and desperate to earn it.

I think in those circumstances Granville would have had to forget his dreams and work hard at the only work he ever knew.

For me it's a good programme, and I think some of the sub-plots would otherwise have been seen in LOTSW if it were still running.

I have seen the first season but not the second yet. Enjoying them so far. Went into it not expecting it to be as great as the original, just focusing more on the nostalgia aspect. That seems to have helped. I look forward to seeing the second series. Had not realized it was produced already, Thanks.

They have a good cast and it is nice to see so many familiar faces. Mrs Featherstone looks as if she has not aged a day since Waiting for God. Is a bit odd seeing her make a pass at Granville when in the original she would barely speak to him thinking he a sex mad young one. Granville's son, I knew he looked familiar for several episodes till I realized he was a guest character in Red Dwarf series 10. Also Peterson from early Red Dwarf as well playing a traveling sales guy. Nice to see Mavis as a love interest for Granville again.

Cheers,
Rick

I saw some of the first series but didn't like it at all. I'm bothering with the second because I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the original.

I'm sorry some of you aren't enjoy this programme, but then, as Dick says often, we can't all like the same things.

I am a firm believer of watching things twice or three times if something isn't as good as it should be - it's amazing what you miss the first time.

I have to say the dialogue from Roy Clarke can be quite sharp, if you listen carefully.

One scene I noticed was the ladies sitting in a circle discussing things and men - drinking coffee! We have seen that before somewhere have we not?

It's never going to be a classic like the original but I like it a lot. It has improved over the first series. I like Johnny Vegas as Wet Eric and I think James Baxter as Leroy is so much better in this series.

It's never going to be a classic like the original but I like it a lot. It has improved over the first series. I like Johnny Vegas as Wet Eric and I think James Baxter as Leroy is so much better in this series.

I think Wet Eric is typical of many around here. Actually I meet people just like the chrarcters in Still Open Alll Hours ona regular basis here in Keighley.

If I did not know better I would think Roy Clarke had sat around Keighley for his inspiration: Gastric, Cyril, Mrs Hussain - all seen them here in the flesh so to speak. Actally it is what makes his writing so good, it is believable.

Have they said when Arkwright passed away in relation to the timeline of the new show? Was wondering how much time Leroy / Granville's son got to spend with grandpa Arkwright. Also do we know who the mom is? Or why she left him on the doorstep for Granville?

In the first episode Granville of Still Open mentions being with Leroy's mother while recovering from having to pay repair on the roof. Which got me thinking about the episode when Arkwright accidentally shoots the ceiling with a shotgun. The episode with the burglars where Granville and Maureen get cozy in the shop. But that was half way through the first original season. That would make Leroy several years old by the time the original Open was over. Gladys did say that Leroy was helped raised by all the ladies in the area.

Anyone with some answers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rick

Have they said when Arkwright passed away in relation to the timeline of the new show? Was wondering how much time Leroy / Granville's son got to spend with grandpa Arkwright. Also do we know who the mom is? Or why she left him on the doorstep for Granville?

In the first episode Granville of Still Open mentions being with Leroy's mother while recovering from having to pay repair on the roof. Which got me thinking about the episode when Arkwright accidentally shoots the ceiling with a shotgun. The episode with the burglars where Granville and Maureen get cozy in the shop. But that was half way through the first original season. That would make Leroy several years old by the time the original Open was over. Gladys did say that Leroy was helped raised by all the ladies in the area.

Anyone with some answers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rick

Since Granville met Leroy's MUM while he was worrying about paying for a repair on the roof, this would suggest Arkwright had already passed on. Granville wouldn't have worried about money with Arkwright around. With all that in mind, we can assume Arkwright never knew Leroy.

This repair to the roof has nothing to do with the time when Arkwright shot the shop ceiling. The two incidents would be many years apart.

Maureen is not in any way Leroy's mother. Maureen was years before Leroy.

The MUM was seen in the first series of Still Open All Hours, played by Paula Wilcox, and was not called Maureen.

Last edited:
<snip>
The MUM was seen in the first series of Still Open All Hours, played by Paula Wilcox, and was not called Maureen. <snip>

Thanks, I completely missed that and will need to go back and re-watch the first season again. I do like Paula Wilcox from the 'Man about the House' series.

Cheers,
Rick

<snip>
The MUM was seen in the first series of Still Open All Hours, played by Paula Wilcox, and was not called Maureen. <snip>

Thanks, I completely missed that and will need to go back and re-watch the first season again. I do like Paula Wilcox from the 'Man about the House' series.

Cheers,
Rick

Hello Rick

Apologies if you are already aware but Paula is still acting on TV she is one of 6 actors [three couples ] in a new BBC series Boomers, coincidentally also starring Russ Abbott [not Paula's partner] . If you have not seen I personally think its worth a viewing , they have just aired a Christmas special which was one of the more enjoyable shows over the holiday period.

Thanks clutterbuck. I did not know about the BBC show called Boomers. From the few clips I just saw it looks good. I will try to see if I can get my hands on the series.

Cheers,
Rick

The second series of Still Open All Hours concluded tonight back on form with a much stronger episode.

This one showed how to sell dented cans of food, and also saw the return of 'yaggis'.

No idea if there will be a third series, quite satisfied two series have been made.

I like the scenes with the ladies in the kitchen - nice touch, not too funny.

Not sure why Gareth Hale (Hale and Pace) was brought into this series - that plot went absolutely nowhere.

Still the best thing on TV, perfect second best to more Last of the Summer wine.

Last edited:
The second series of Still Open All Hours concluded tonight back on form with a much stronger episode.

This one showed how to sell dented cans of food, and also saw the return of 'yaggis'.

No idea if there will be a third series, quite satisfied two series have been made.

I like the scenes with the ladies in the kitchen - nice touch, not too funny.

Not sure why Gareth Hale (Hale and Pace) was brought into this series - that plot went absolutely nowhere.

Still the best thing on TV, perfect second best to more Last of the Summer wine.

I have watched the second series on catch up and whilst there are some redeeming moments they are far outnumbered by those which don't solicit the slightest grin . I'm sorry but I still hold that they should have left it alone as the classic show it was. You simply cannot hope to replicate such a strong character as Ronnie Barker's Arkwright even allowing for how good an actor David Jason is .

I still cannot understand what Roy Clarke was thinking of when he wrote the running sub plot of Delphine Featherstone making a pass at Granville in the way she did at Arkwright it just doesn't make sense , add to that the reuse of the man with the big dog trying to buy something in the shop along with various other previously used sub plots and the show becomes a poor pastiche of the original .

Back