The love triabgle

• Thread starter Thread starter gill
  • Start date Start date
G

gill

The love triangle

On a similar thread to the underated trio, I have to say I really enjoyed the Howard, Pearl and marina theme. The three actors worked so well together and provided us with some great comedy moment's.

Last edited by a moderator:
the love triangle

Gill,

The bgle could be short for boggles as in the mind boggles why Marina stuck it for so long . It's hard to believe that a lady would play second fiddle for so long in exchange for a ride on a bike to the country and a hunt for insects as a reward at the end of the bike ride. In my own personal view the mind boggles how Roy Clarke continued to try and event new situations to exploit the love triangle , it became a very tired part of the show and should have perhaps been brought to a conclusion several series before the end , one way or the other.

Actually there were a few occasions when Marina seem to dally with other men; I suspect if Norman had been bolder she would have quite happily settled with him.

The reason the story line persisted is that it was popular.

Actually there were a few occasions when Marina seem to dally with other men; I suspect if Norman had been bolder she would have quite happily settled with him.

The reason the story line persisted is that it was popular.

Remember the traffic warden in Glamour of the Uniform??:35:

I liked the trio, I've said on other threads that Pearl put up with it because she know it wouldn't get too serious because of Howard being all mouth and trousers. I think Marina was a lonely person who took friendship where she could get it, I think she was just looking for affection without having to commit, which is why she mostly seemed to pick men that weren't really available. She had no chance with Norman, Howard was married has was Mr Halliwell.

The triangle worked for about 15 years but inevitably became harder to believe. In part I think that was because Marina as the "younger attractive" woman faded as Jean aged. Combine that with the question of why she put up with Howard and it became a weak part of the show in later years. However, transitioning those characters in other directions would have been difficult. They could have paired Marina up with one of the single men introduced in later years, I suppose, but whether it would have worked is hard to say. And Howard was pretty much entirely defined by his interactions with Marina, Pearl, and Clegg. Take Marina out at the same time Clegg was being phased back and now you have a Howard problem as well.

the love triangle

I often wonder if the tiredness of the Howard/Marina plot was perhaps one of the most telling factors that effectively made up the minds of the BBC to cancel the show . I could imagine some frank discussions with Roy Clarke asking him to take the situation in a different direction and him vehemently objecting to doing that.

I enjoyed the love triangle at first as well but agree that it did feel like, "Oh, not this again" towards the end.

I`ve said it before but I think it would have been better if some of the supporting characters had only been used in some episodes rather than crowbarring them into every edition.

I don't think that the Howard Marina situation caused the demise it was more that a certain woman decided that the majority of viewers to the BBC were not wanted and only young edgy ones were the future. She canned the show and made other disastrious decisions and then left to help ruin another channel which is now struggling foe its existence ,Roy would have added new characters as he did in the past although with the core actors ageing the shows character would change.The BBC now seems to be commissioning innovative programes and has regained its lead in tv.

Back