The never explained woman in "Last Post and Pigeon"

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I watched "Last Post" last night and was struck again (I've noticed it before) by the woman who appears in a scene near the end but was never explained. When Edie and Ros return to the house after making up at the cemetary, they are met by Wesley, Glenda, Barry, and an unknown woman. That woman then is seen talking with Ros as the scene ends and they go into the house.

I've always wondered what that was about. Anyone know? My only guess might be that maybe she was introduced in a scene that was later cut (possibly a nurse for Edie?).

I might be wrong on this one but i'm sure I read somewhere that that woman actually won an auction to appear on the show in that series and that's why she is there and in From Here to Paternity, but I will admit for years I thought she might have been a carer for Dame Thora Hird cause knowing the BBC they have been funny with the older actors being on location during the time the show was on air, i'm sure Terry could confirm this for us though but that's my recollection of who she is

Yes, sounds right. Would you say she was playing a neighbour or extended family member?

Not really sure why she was there,just a guess but sometimes Alan Bell would pluck one or two onlookers to be in a scene just to make it look busier,they were doing a scene for a later episode in the entrance to the church at New Mill,Brian and I was watching when Alan Bell called us over,the plan was for me to be in the entrance making out I was talking to someone else,while Brian walked out of the church and disappeared around the corner, the actors were Barry and Glenda,they started in the entrance and were discussing Auntie somebody,they walked out and vanished,so I was on my own and it was about 90 seconds before they shouted Cut,I thought this was a little odd but found out later it was where the end credits would be, the whole scene never made it to the screen,just the way it goes,but a example of how things can happen

It seems like an odd place to use a random extra or contest winner, since the scene is a very important family moment. Having someone sitting in the cafe or walking on the street would be the more conventional way of using a non-speaking extra.

It seems like an odd place to use a random extra or contest winner, since the scene is a very important family moment. Having someone sitting in the cafe or walking on the street would be the more conventional way of using a non-speaking extra.

it would seem the sensible thing to do but then again seeing we don't know why she is there we will never know why if she did win a competition why she wasn't used differently, which is why I think she might have been a carer for Dame Thora, that would make sense to me why she was there to make sure she was ok during filming especially with her in a wheelchair during filming

I see what your saying Darren but she could have easily been near Dame Thora off camera, just seems an odd place to stick her carer. I suppose we'll never know now, just one of those mysteries.

I see what your saying Darren but she could have easily been near Dame Thora off camera, just seems an odd place to stick her carer. I suppose we'll never know now, just one of those mysteries.

exactly pearl just one of those mysteries we will never know

As said, I think it was more of a prize than a 'condition' for the lady to appear in the episode.

It was a bit of an odd part, though probably more prestigious than getting lost in a crowd scene, like being a cafe extra for example would be.

It would be logical for her character to be a neighbour helping with the Welcome Home Roz proceedings, though may have looked a bit more convincing if she was holding a step ladder, or some decorations etc etc.

It would, as said, have been appropriate for her to be a carer, as Thora Hird was in a wheelchair for this one.

I imagine filming this particular episode was a very stressful time for Alan JW Bell, with Bill Owen's health being so very bad.

With that in mind, it's possible the prize winner's appearance was very hastily arranged.

As said, I think it was more of a prize than a 'condition' for the lady to appear in the episode.

It was a bit of an odd part, though probably more prestigious than getting lost in a crowd scene, like being a cafe extra for example would be.

It would be logical for her character to be a neighbour helping with the Welcome Home Roz proceedings, though may have looked a bit more convincing if she was holding a step ladder, or some decorations etc etc.

It would, as said, have been appropriate for her to be a carer, as Thora Hird was in a wheelchair for this one.

I imagine filming this particular episode was a very stressful time for Alan JW Bell, with Bill Owen's health being so very bad.

With that in mind, it's possible the prize winner's appearance was very hastily arranged.

spot on wstol, couldn't put it better myself

You say the lady appears in From Here to Paternity?

What part does she play in this one?

she's with the ladies standing outside the pub when Tom arrives, if I remember correctly she is holding onto or is standing very close to Edie, she's also in the pub with the ladies when we see Waldo for the first time with Tom

So she is.

Again, a prominent role for a non-speaking extra. And role that has no relevence to the episode, like before.

Good looking woman, if I do say so myself.

Have been following this thread with interest.
Never thought the character in 'Last Post and Pigeon' odd or extraordinary. Edie (and Wesley) were welcoming Ros back with a wee celebration after a long absence and estrangement. It seemed totally reasonable to me that Edie would get a neighbour or family friend to help in the preparation.
I do sometimes wonder if we dream up rather esoteric explanations for the mundane.
:14:

With respect, I don't agree.

Though in real life we frequently see people we don't know, with people we do know, at any given time - this is not the case with television.

In television and films, everything has to make sense. There has to be a reason for everything.

For instance, you can't have someone getting up and going to the toilet, then coming back without any relevence to the plot.

Nor would it be acceptable for an actor to have a massive sneeze, or seriously fluff his lines. Natural in real life, though not in a tv programme if there's no relevence to the plot.

That said, some of this stuff may be ok in a trendy, edgy, semi-improvised BBC2 programme.

In television and films, everything has to make sense. There has to be a reason for everything.

This has totally lost me. Where are these rules and regulations laid down?
The lady in question coming out of the house with Wesley to greet Ros made perfect sense to me per the scenario in my last post on the topic. Might have been more authentic with one or two more but no matter.
Are we to expect an explanation for every extra who appears in a programme?

Last edited:
Usually if there's an extra in a pub or cafe scene, it's never questionned. Why would it be? They are customers.

But this lady emerging out of a house HAS raised questions. She was noticed.

Now this doesn't bother me as such, I'm happy to accept she was helping out.

Traditionally in any sitcom you just wouldn't have extras where they are not needed. They are made on a budget.

I think it was a very generous role for the prize winner to be given, as she stands out JUST enough to be noticed, unlike a regular extra in a crowd scene.

I can't think of any other other extras to be commented on like this on this forum, although there is regular extra Chris Breeze, who I think got a screen credit once on the show, and has cropped on many BBC shows over the years.

You got to think about the little people as well!

Back