The Sweetmakers

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
I know we have a few members who like the odd chocolate and sweet , amongst the dross on TV over the Holidays was a gem of a programme made by BBC called the Sweetmakers it was absolutely fascinating . There was a Christmas Special which is available on the BBC IPlayer and every day they have been showing the original series.

The basic premise is to show how sweets are produced during various historical periods and the four modern day confectioners are set tasks to make sweets and treats using the same materials and equipment that was available to the confectioners in their day . They throw in the history of how they produced the confectionery and the social history of the time making it an absolutely fascinating hour of TV . I cannot recommend it highly enough , even if you don't have a sweet tooth.

I know we have a few members who like the odd chocolate and sweet , amongst the dross on TV over the Holidays was a gem of a programme made by BBC called the Sweetmakers it was absolutely fascinating . There was a Christmas Special which is available on the BBC IPlayer and every day they have been showing the original series.

The basic premise is to show how sweets are produced during various historical periods and the four modern day confectioners are set tasks to make sweets and treats using the same materials and equipment that was available to the confectioners in their day . They throw in the history of how they produced the confectionery and the social history of the time making it an absolutely fascinating hour of TV . I cannot recommend it highly enough , even if you don't have a sweet tooth.

Thank you Captain, I'll have a look for that this afternoon.

I tried to watch it Captain but it had the immediate feel of a BBC cookery show, so turned it off and watched The Crown on Netflix instead

Last edited:
I tried to watch it Captain but it had the immediate feel of a BBC cookery show, so turned it off and watched The Crown on Netflix instead
You should try and stick with it Terry, it is worth it because it gives an insight into our social history . I am fascinated how the different era's made confectionery and how focus changed through time . Sugar was almost a status symbol, there were times when sugar was only affordable to the rich the episodes show how eventually it was made available to the masses . In the current climate we see articles portraying angry joe public kicking off because their favourite chocolate bars have shrunk or changed in terms of recipe, but in certain era's that was common practice including the use of arsenic in some products .

Back