Top 25 of all time

C

Chuffer Enwright

I was thinking earlier about an enjoyable way to spend the next couple of days as a distraction to decorating and thought that narrowing it down and choosing my fave 25 episodes of all time was the way to do it.
I appreciate this is a task that will take longer than a cup of tea and bun, but often these things are more rewarding when you have training partners....so, anybody fancy having a pop at it with me?

For anyone who is going to have a stab at it with me, perhaps I should have said favourite/best episodes of all time. Obviously there will be some bias in all of us who preferred one character over another, who have seen a particular run of episodes more recently than others, so, not that you do have to justify yourself, perhaps you could use specific criteria for choosing, such as longevity, a historical moment in the history of the show, say if you chose 'The Man from Oswestry' for it being the first appearance of Foggy for example.
If you do for instance choose one that could be considered slightly 'off the wall' in the general scheme of things that could make others go 'hmmmm, didn't really consider that one', maybe a little explanation as to why would be appropriate.
Obviously some episodes have stood the test of time better than others, some represent the show in what you may consider to be it's Halycon days, some look dated, others will be there for very personal reasons and likewise some left out for the same personal reasons....but try to make it as objective as possible if you go down the 'best episode' route rather than 'favourite'.
Good luck to all who have a go and I look forward to seeing the choices and responses.

Just to let you all know, this is actually impossible! Cor blimey, I've sat here for the last hour and I've got a list of 75 episodes that I know need to cull to 25!
And the beauty of it is, you can just guarantee, given human nature and the beauty of the show that Terry will have some in his top 10 that won't have made my list of 75, as will ****, George, Robin, Claye etc etc...

Did I say 75? I actually meant 85. And yes, before anyone points it out to me, I do know that I'm talking to myself!

Did I say 75? I actually meant 85. And yes, before anyone points it out to me, I do know that I'm talking to myself!
Just to let you know your not talking to yourself Chuffer,But if others on this site are having the same trouble as me choosing my top 25 it could take a while (weeks) before they reply to your post,At this moment intime my list is 280 eps long,Im glad to hear someone else is up to there elbows in wallpaper and paste too and its not just me :-\. Iwill get back to you with my list (eventually).

Very true mate, it's not something that you can sit down and do off the cuff.
I must say that it was the best use of a couple of hours I've had in a long time this afternoon! Up a ladder, meddling about with mundanities and thinking of the best Summer Wine episodes isn't a bad way to spend the day.
Culling it down to 25 however, will be a proper challenge. There are a good few that are unshakeably good that will always be up there for me, but to whittle it down to 25 takes some doing.

I agree - so many good epsiodes that 25 is hard work, that is about 1 in 12 or not even one from every series!

You know, I never did get round to the definitive 25! I might give this some more serious consideration over the next few days.

I think this will be difficult to do as i keep finding an episode i like then find another every bit as enjoyable.One thing i can say is that the" Mysterious feet of Nora Batty","Full Steam Behind","Hail smiling Morn or Thereabouts and" and "Das Welly Boot" would certainly be front runners.

Hector.

01.Of Funerals and Fish.
02.Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts
03.When You Take A Good Bite Yorkshire Tastes Terrible
04.Wind Power
05.Set The People Free
06.The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper
07.Cheering Up Gordon
08.The Black Widow
09.The Really Masculine Purse
10.Last Post and Pigeon
11Elegy For falling Wellies
12.Just A Small Funeral
13.Surprise At Throstlenest
14.Lair Of The Cat Creature
15.How Errol Flynn Discovered The Secret Scar Of Nora Batty
16.Loxley Lozenge
17.Small Tune On A Penny Wassail
18.Getting Sam Home
19.Whoops
20.Inventor Of The 40Foot Ferret
21.Crums
22.And A Dewhurst Up A Fir Tree
23.Uncle Of The Bride
24.Return Of The Warrior
25.There Goes The Groom.
I'll look at this list in an hour and want to change it.

Love your list George, but I would have
included Full Steam Behind way up near the top
both for the really funny story, and the wonderful
railway scenes, but also for the
great views along the K&WV RR. I have walked
that area often and looked down from that bridge.

Just behind the Pilot episode, this is my favorite!!

chuck

Well done George for being the first to have a crack at it. That's a good list.

I agree that this is a really hard thing to do, there are so many classic episodes to choose from but... here it goes

1.Full Steam Behind
2.The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper
3.Cheering up Gordon.
4.The Charity Balls
5.The Changing Face of Rural Blamire
6.A Kink in Foggy's Niblick
7.Forked Lightning
8.Come in Sunray Major
9.The Return of The Warrior
10.Three Men and a Mangle
11.Windpower
12.Last Post and Pigeon
13.Whoops!
14.Who's That Dancing With Nora Batty Then?
15.The Lair of the Cat Creature
16.The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg
17.Getting Sam Home
18.All Mod Conned
19.A Bicycle Made For Three
20.Crums
21.The Crowcroft Challenge
22.Mending Stuarts Leg
23.Ordeal By Trousers
24.The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti
25.The Frozen Turkey Man

This is by no means everybody's opinion but I have tried for a broad range.

Oh, for some reason I seem to have missed this topic. It´s really too difficult, I prefer the early ones, many of my favourites have been named here by David, and among the later ones I also share some favourites with him. But there is one I miss in most of your favourites, that´s Greenfingers. It´s just so funny, probably also because of the incredible audience, must be one of the episodes with the most laughter in it, if not the most.

Back