we love sitcom

• Thread starter Thread starter gill
  • Start date Start date
G

gill

Did anybody see this on BBC last night. There was not a mention of LOTSW. As I said before the BBC seen to have removed all trace of it

Last edited by a moderator:
No Gill I did not see it and I agree the BBC has really let the show down,even though they have made a lot of money from selling the DVD's and using it on their other TV station under the UK brand on Sky for many many years

I watched it and thought the whole show was awful, badly presented by Ben Miller , I thought the "contestants" were pretty much clueless but for Chris Addison . The only interesting part was Howard Goodall , who as well as being an accomplished composer is clearly a great Piano player . I liked his renditions of the theme tunes from famous sitcoms , some of which he of course composed . Whilst it was clearly never meant to be a full on quiz I don't think it offered the reverence that these shows deserve.

Did not watch soon as I saw the trailer knew it would be rubbish the BBC are becoming a totally useless station and now they have lost Bake Off

I thought I would tag this onto this thread as it sort of the same complaint. I just watched the doco " British Sitcom, 60 years of laughing at ourselves" NOT A MENTION of LOTSW, Keeping up Appearances or even Open all Hours.
Now I know that they couldn't mention every show but to miss out one of the highest rated and longest lived sitcom in British history is simply criminal! Given they didn't include it in the Ben Miller quiz show and now isn't even mentioned in
a documentary, someone is clearly going to extreme lengths to bury the show. LOTSW seems to be the show everyone hates to love! Well enough is enough..
I LOVE LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE and don't care what anyone thinks! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!:03::37::41:

Signed ANGRY (of Mayfair)

I was surprised about LOTSW and Open All Hours not getting a mention yet the awful and frankly distasteful Curry and Chips was mentioned presumably because of its racist connotations acting as a to Til Death and Love thy Neighbour . I was clearly disappointed with the whole show I don't even recall that they showed any Dad's Army or Hi de Hi but I was probably distracted . Given they have invested heavily in the 60 years of sitcom celebration and given it was BBC 4 on a Monday night why not extend the show to 90 mins or even two hours which they could have split into two x one hour episodes and included so much more .

Captain, Dads Army, Hi de Hi and even Allo Allo were all pretty well covered in the David Croft documentary a few days ago. Not sure if it was done by the same company so possibly a partial excuse ( Not a GOOD one) for missing those in the Sitcom Doco.

Reminds me of the Steptoe episode where Harold has to write an article for the Parish magazine about the History Rag and Boning in the Parish and old man Steptoe asks him to spell Chrysanthemum , he can't and says "Well I'll just leave it out " to which the old man retorts something like " You can't leave that out its Bottles for Harry's horse and his family have been totting longer than hours " . In essence my point is how can you broadcast a credible documentary about the history of sitcom without mentioning those three classics and many more !

I thought I would tag this onto this thread as it sort of the same complaint. I just watched the doco " British Sitcom, 60 years of laughing at ourselves" NOT A MENTION of LOTSW, Keeping up Appearances or even Open all Hours.
.....s! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!:03::37::41:

Signed ANGRY (of Mayfair)

Seems to be let us not mention Roy Clarke .... all three of those series have done very well.

I don't know if anyone watched Steptoe ? I did and again it was done as a play with transparent scenery . There were a few laugh out moments but it was inferior, in my opinion, to the Hancock and Til Death while Jeff Rawle made a valiant attempt at the father Albert [voice was spot on in parts] the actor playing the son Harold I think just failed to capture the essence of Harold and it didn't really work , sadly.

The casting wasn't great, but I have to say despite this, the actors did their best.

Totally unnecessary remake. The episode isn't lost. Has been available to buy on video for 24 years. Colour episode which only exists as a black and white copy. I gather ANOTHER black and white recording of the FIRST HALF of this episode has recently turned up, which DOES have the information on it to convert it back to colour.

More restoration work is possible on some of these old episodes, I think money would be better spent on this rather than re-making classics that aren't actually lost.

Back