Welsh Wales

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Did Roy Clarke ever explain why he poked fun at Wales and Lancashire?? There are so many references to them that it sometimes makes me wonder if he was biased against them.:confused::sneaky:

I have found that no matter what British TV show it is, they all have poked fun at the Welsh. I am also curious about what it is about the Welsh that causes everyone to poke fun at them.

Did Roy Clarke ever explain why he poked fun at Wales and Lancashire?? There are so many references to them that it sometimes makes me wonder if he was biased against them.:confused::sneaky:
Having lived in Yorkhire for over half of my life I have observed that Lanacashire is a word best not mentioned too loudly - although only about five miles away!

I watched Justin Moorhouse a comedian from Lancashire playing a gig in St Helens his opening line was " Nice to be home I've been off doing Missionary work in Yorkshire trying to make people laugh but they are as tight with them as tha are wit cash"

I watched Justin Moorhouse a comedian from Lancashire playing a gig in St Helens his opening line was " Nice to be home I've been off doing Missionary work in Yorkshire trying to make people laugh but they are as tight with them as tha are wit cash"

It's like the Cleggy line " I once gave someone directions and he ended up in Lancashire!! I can't take that kind of responsibility"

Having said all this I also remember a line about someone going "Abroad" to Liverpool and London takes a beating a couple of ties too.

It's like the Cleggy line " I once gave someone directions and he ended up in Lancashire!! I can't take that kind of responsibility"

Having said all this I also remember a line about someone going "Abroad" to Liverpool and London takes a beating a couple of ties too.
What about Chesterfield?? That's foreign parts to Cleggy! :confused:;)

I have wondered about this too. As an outside observer I'm not sure how useful my impression is, but it always seems like in Britain different populations are like different races. Yorkshire, Northumberland, Cornwall etc. despite being considered English, are all so distinctly separate in people's minds. I don't know if this is because of background, dialect, location or some dim memory of the many waves of invasions from the continent that have made up the people of Great Britain today.
Historically I think barriers between cultures were much more serious. There were severe consequences both directions for an English person to enter Wales or for a Welsh person to enter England long ago. I have always seen Welsh people pictured as mysterious, tribal, and highly emotional. Irish people as either hot headed fighters, lazy drinkers, or magical, and Scottish people as totally incomprehensible, impetuous, but always throwing a party. Any time anyone goes to Scotland there is a dance.
The most comments about Wales are in Who's Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales? Foggy remarks about the Celts, Clegg talks about them as mountain folk, and even Beth talks about Foggy's soulful English eyes, so clearly the feeling is that there is a real cultural separation between them.

I have wondered about this too. As an outside observer I'm not sure how useful my impression is, but it always seems like in Britain different populations are like different races. Yorkshire, Northumberland, Cornwall etc. despite being considered English, are all so distinctly separate in people's minds. I don't know if this is because of background, dialect, location or some dim memory of the many waves of invasions from the continent that have made up the people of Great Britain today.
Historically I think barriers between cultures were much more serious. There were severe consequences both directions for an English person to enter Wales or for a Welsh person to enter England long ago. I have always seen Welsh people pictured as mysterious, tribal, and highly emotional. Irish people as either hot headed fighters, lazy drinkers, or magical, and Scottish people as totally incomprehensible, impetuous, but always throwing a party. Any time anyone goes to Scotland there is a dance.
The most comments about Wales are in Who's Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales? Foggy remarks about the Celts, Clegg talks about them as mountain folk, and even Beth talks about Foggy's soulful English eyes, so clearly the feeling is that there is a real cultural separation between them.
To be fair we're a piddle taking lot who just like taking the piddle out of each other.
As for regional differences the Irish hate the English the Welsh hate the English the Scots hate the English but the English love everyone...... Except the French no one likes the French :fp::35::rolling:
The Cornish are a funny lot too :D
And this is what gets me band of 2 days :33::42:

Here is my view from across the Pond. Cornwall was Celtic and they mined tin for the Romans. The Welsh were also Celtic and/or might have also been the original Brits. The counties of Wessex, Essex, Sussex originally were settled by the Saxons. And York was first inhabited by the Vikings. And so what left? England proper, which was part of the Roman Empire. And when the Roman Empire fell apart, some of the Romans must have stayed. And as for the Irish, the Roman Empire never got there at all, so there it is.

In Hail Smiling Morn Clegg also talks about ending up in Wales in all innocence until you hear the rustle of thinly slices lettuce and describes Ireland as Dodge City with Guiness.
I think Grahm has it with the War or the Roses, and as for Scotland, Wales, and Ireland, Adanor is likely right on target with the Roman influence. Remember Diana Trent in Waiting for God " Hadrian, why didn't you build a bigger wall?"
Don't forget the Picts though, I think I would have built a wall too if my neighbors went around painting themselves blue and rushing into battle naked.

Back