We're 21 Today, Foggy! Part Three

wstol

Dedicated Member
Bill Owen's first success was winning two shillings in a talent contest at Acton Baths for an impersonation of Louis Armstrong. Sadly, we cannot record Brian Wilde's theatrical debut owing to the speaking problem. Since then, between them, they have done just about everything their profession offers.

Somewhat later in life, when they first read the first Summer Wine scripts, they both knew it was something special. "Gold," says Owen. "Pure gold," says Sallis. But how have two Londoners mastered this lugubrious Yorkshire humour? "I think," says Sallis, slowly, "it is something called acting." You see what I mean about Peter Sallis.

A moment later, face sublime with innocence, he says: "Don't you think you ought to ask Brian some questions now?" Brian Wilde, eyes still fixed on gazing through the window, merely blinks.

When they first started filming in Holmfirth, they had to stay in a pub because there was no hotel. Now there is a three-star hotel, and a flourishing tourist industry based on the show, for which the locals alternatively curse and bless them. After all these years, Clegg and Compo are second nature to them.

There are no wardrobe or continuity problems. Owen always has a hole in his jumper and his trousers are tied up with string. Sallis always wears a green waistcoat over the top of the fawn cardigan.

"We have carefully engineered things so that we always look the exactly the same," Peter Sallis explains. "We change for funerals and weddings, which is very irksome. Otherwise we wear the same clothes. I have been wearing this tie for five years."

Back