Which is the most typical episode of Last of the Summer Wine

wstol

Dedicated Member
I've been trying to select the finest, most typical, most iconic episode ever of Last of the Summer Wine.

We've had polls selecting the best episodes, or most favourite episodes episodes.

But I thought I'd try to find one episode which had as many classic LOTSW factors as I could think of.

I decided that a good episode of Last of the Summer Wine should have:-
1) Compo, Clegg and Foggy.
2) Sid and Ivy.
3) Nora and Wally.
4) Be produced/directed by Alan JW Bell.
5) Feature the exterior and interior of the cafe.
6) Feature the exterior of Nora's house.
7) Feature an encounter between Compo and Nora outside Nora's house.
8) Feature a pub.
9) Have scenes of the trio idling in the countryside.
10) Views of the town.
11) If possible feature The White Horse.

The biggest problem was finding an episode which involved John Comer as Sid and Alan JW Bell, as well as the other factors.

The best example I could find was Getting Sam Home. It even features an exterior view of The White Horse.

However, since it is feature length and the subject matter wasn't very typical, One of the Last Places Explored by Man was my next choice.

So my search mainly consisted of episodes during Series 6, to include Sid and Alan JW Bell.

That said, Series 7 had some good examples, though Alan JW Bell was not involved.

Anyone here know what makes a good episode of Last of the Summer Wine?

The pilot. It's all there in a nutshell. A close second is one in which Wesley is painting Nora's walls. I like that episode because Alan Bell very kindly gave Gordon Wharmby a scene in which he could be up on a ladder painting. He was right for the part but still a little nervous and that scene was exactly right in that his other profession was that of a house painter.

I think One of the Last Few Places Explored by Man IS quite a typical episode - not only has got some physical stuff from Compo (something else I should have suggested) it's even got a WARDROBE in it!!

Look at the number of shows which featured a wardrobe, and here we have perhaps the earliest and freshest example of a wardrobe episode!

This has to be a contender if ever one episode had to be chosen to represent show.

I think One of the Last Few Places Explored by Man IS quite a typical episode - not only has got some physical stuff from Compo (something else I should have suggested) it's even got a WARDROBE in it!!

Look at the number of shows which featured a wardrobe, and here we have perhaps the earliest and freshest example of a wardrobe episode!

This has to be a contender if ever one episode had to be chosen to represent show.

Renovating wardrobes is good, I have a good selection.:sneaky:

I'm not sure it meets the "most typical" idea, but I consider "Getting On Sidney's Wire" to be an episode that has everything I like about the show and it does include many of the elements listed in the original post. It is a Lotterby era episode, though. I like that one because just about every scene is a classic of its type and the episode has a variety of scenes in it. So you get physical humor and you get dialogue humor but you also have the quiet moments where the characters turn into real people and you have the surreal moments where they act like children.

I'm not sure it meets the "most typical" idea, but I consider "Getting On Sidney's Wire" to be an episode that has everything I like about the show and it does include many of the elements listed in the original post. It is a Lotterby era episode, though. I like that one because just about every scene is a classic of its type and the episode has a variety of scenes in it. So you get physical humor and you get dialogue humor but you also have the quiet moments where the characters turn into real people and you have the surreal moments where they act like children.
Agree a good oen.

Once I alos liked was the giant carrot one - forgotten title!.

Back