Who would be in it ?

Pete.

Dedicated Member
Hi all,
Something I'v been wondering about for a while,and would really like to hear if any of you have any views,
Near to where I live,at a place called Balby,the BBC outdoor film crew have just spent the last two weeks filming the outdoor scenes for a comedy called Open All Hours,
This was a much loved comedy that ran from 1976 to 1985,and because of the publics affection for it,they made a Christmas special last Christmas,returning to the same location,and using who they could of the original cast,
Such was the reaction to it,and the viewing figures,that they commissioned a new series,starring David Jason and Lynda Baron,who were both in the series when it ended,and they have just finished filming the street and shop scenes,
Ever since I'v been wondering,what if they decided to do the same with Last of the Summer Wine,I read on one of our threads that it was the most watched repeat programme,and theres no doubt that there is still a huge love for the programme,
Seems a daft question,but would you want them to come back and make a Christmas special,and possibly a new series ?
And who,around now,from the cast,would you want back,and who would be able to come back,Cleggy is 93 can you believe that ! Robert Fyfe is 89,Jean Alexander 88,Burt Kwouk 84 !
Ivy could return,and Barry and Glenda,
Hobbo,Alvin,Tom and Billy perhaps
Pearl,but how could you write her in without Howard,
and of course Cooper and Walsh,
It all just got me thinking,because with the success of Open All Hours,there is always the possibility that someone at the BBC might consider it,
Can I also ask if any of you have ever been to Cleggys/Pearl and Howards house location,I'v been to a lot of the locations,but only got to the end of the lane at Jackson Bridge to see their house,there were big scary signs saying private,at the end of the lane leading to the houses but didn't know if it meant for cars,or for anyone,would love to see the houses close up and wondered if anyone had walked down it,
Thanks,Pete x

Pete,I have been up to Cleggy's row of house a few times when they were filming,they are a different layout to what we see in the show, the front window by the front door is in fact the kitchen and not the lounge which is on the 1st floor,I spoke to the residents a couple of times and they seem friendly,Terry

It would be a great idea but I don't see it happening to be honest. Peter has retired so he wouldn't do it and Jane Freeman (Ivy) wasn't in How Not To Cry At Weddings because of ill health. Juliette Kaplan (Pearl) is still young enough but would she want to if Robert Fife didn't come back. Would her character be the same without Howard? Who would she shout at all day and who would clean her windows?

I think the closest we'll ever get is if they did a spin off with Cooper and Walsh with maybe an appearance or two from some of the old regulars. It would be a way of bringing in some new younger faces ( But not too young) and maybe introducing some new characters but it would only work if Roy Clark would do the writing, I don't think the die hard fans would stomache a different writer.

Great thread may the way :D.

I noticed, recently, that there's to be a new film of Dad's Army, with Toby Jones as Mainwaring and Bill Nighy as Wilson, a completely new cast (has to really, when you think about it) - so perhaps any follow up to LOTSW should be in that style? The question then would be who from the current batch of TV actors would be cast as the various characters?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, should have started a new one.

It would be a great idea but I don't see it happening to be honest. Peter has retired so he wouldn't do it and Jane Freeman (Ivy) wasn't in How Not To Cry At Weddings because of ill health. Juliette Kaplan (Pearl) is still young enough but would she want to if Robert Fife didn't come back. Would her character be the same without Howard? Who would she shout at all day and who would clean her windows?

I think the closest we'll ever get is if they did a spin off with Cooper and Walsh with maybe an appearance or two from some of the old regulars. It would be a way of bringing in some new younger faces ( But not too young) and maybe introducing some new characters but it would only work if Roy Clark would do the writing, I don't think the die hard fans would stomache a different writer.

Great thread may the way :D.
Great answer Pearl,just about sums up what I think:42:
Sorry about including all the quote,couldnt see how I could reply without including it.x

I noticed, recently, that there's to be a new film of Dad's Army, with Toby Jones as Mainwaring and Bill Nighy as Wilson, a completely new cast (has to really, when you think about it) - so perhaps any follow up to LOTSW should be in that style? The question then would be who from the current batch of TV actors would be cast as the various characters?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, should have started a new one.
Not hijacked at all Joppy,thats exactly one of the points I was thinking of,I wouldn't like that,I think Pearls got it about right,thats what I feel anyway,
Pete.

Pete,I have been up to Cleggy's row of house a few times when they were filming,they are a different layout to what we see in the show, the front window by the front door is in fact the kitchen and not the lounge which is on the 1st floor,I spoke to the residents a couple of times and they seem friendly,Terry
Thanks Terry,next time I go I'll walk up the lane and have a look,Pete.

Hi Pete.

Everything you have written about has constantly been in my mind.

I always thought Open All Hours could return, even when Ronnie Barker was alive.

They left it a very respectful 28 years before OAH did return, and in my opinion it was a splendid return. Anyone not so sure please watch the Christmas special again, it's better after the second viewing.

Since LOTSW didn't have a proper ending, folk are anxious to see a return.

However, after about 5 years, a return seems more and more unlikely, as the cast are getting older.

Like OAH, I would only be interested in a return to LOTSW if there's at least one main character left from the first episode.

This would be Peter Sallis. I didn't realise he had actually 'retired', though I suppose it should had been obvious.

The only way I would support a return of LOTSW would be if Peter Sallis appeared in some form - two seconds would do. I would also accept some unscreened footage from any deleted scenes made of Sallis in character.

I would welcome a return of Jane Freeman. And Robert Fyfe, who looked very well five years ago.

Naturally such a project should have been made 4 years ago, but there you go.

Great answer wstol,as time goes by there is less chance of some of the regulars returning,maybe its too soon for the BBC to start thinking of bringing it back anyway,its just that I saw Ken Kitson in Scarborough and he looked in fantastic health and it made me think he should be out there filming with the rest of the cast that could make it,and then seeing the outdoor film crew as well,but you're right,there would have to be some continuity,although for me it wouldn't have to be Cleggy,even in the way you suggested,you're right,how fantastic did Robert Fyfe look at 84/85 still chasing Marina,I watch him closely and think he is a fabulous actor,even blushing when under pressure in a tight spot on cue,don't know if you have ever been to the museum which is based in Compo's old house,but they play a documentary on loop,you can't buy it I'v asked,and it shows out takes and talking to the actors,sometimes I go just to watch it,when it gets to Robert Fyfe you have to see to believe how he is and how he speaks in real life,because it had been with us so long I think a certain amount of complacency had set it,but there was some amazing acting,and some wonderful writing.
Pete.

I have a few random thoughts...

The first is that far too many old shows are brought back on TV. Over the past few years we have had To the Manor Born, Reggie Perrin, Red Dwarf, Still Open All Hours, Yes, Minister and doubtless some that I`ve forgotten. Generally speaking I don`t think these shows are a patch on the originals.

The second is that Summer Wine hasn`t had enough time since it went off air for enough people to feel nostalgic for its return. A lot of people were probably relieved when it was cancelled back in 2010 and I doubt many would want to see it back now. Especially as so many of the key cast members could not appear.

I think the comment about the Dads Army film is pertinent as, at some point, I would say that would be the most likely way for Summer Wine to return but it would have to be a few years down the line and with a new cast and new writer (though obviously based a lot on Roy Clarke`s work).

I really don't see them bringing back Last of the Summer Wine, but if they did, I'd like to see it open with Clegg and Ivy sitting in the café remembering some of those who can't come back and greeting those who are coming back.

I agree Nicko12345,it would be too soon for its return,I was thinking more of in years to come,but I would hate for it to be remade with new actors taking the familiar roles,that would be awful,
I think the best thing to hope for would be a spin off series of Cooper and Walsh,with a few familiar faces,and all the locations we know and love,
I "tweeted" Louis Emerick this morning,he's currently on tour with the Full Monty,he says they are soon putting two new Cooper and Walsh clips on Youtube,with a hope of a series coming from it,
To support his hopes of a series,I am writing today to the Commissioning Controller for entertainment at the BBC,I think an actual letter is better than just an email,both Louis and Ken Kitson are really keen on the idea,if anyone else would like to write a similar letter to get a series made the address is:
Mr Mark Linsey.
Controller,Entertainment Commissioning,
BBC New Broadcasting House,
Zone A,Floor 7,
Portland Place,
London,
W1A 1A.

It is not too soon to make a continuation of the series, with some of the original cast. With their age a factor, it's never too soon.

There was a gap of five years between the first and second series of Open All Hours. If LOTSW returned now, a similar time gap would occur.

It IS TOO SOON for a re-make of LOTSW with a new cast. That said, another series along the lines of FOTSW with a new cast would be most welcome. Maybe set in the 40s, 50s, 60s or even early 70s. BUT NOT, NOT LIKE HEARTBEAT.

Am never very sure about resurrections, its a bit like going back to a place where you had a wonderful holiday, it never seems to quite come off, I think for me watching the early episodes when all the characters were in their prime and so deliciously funny works best.

I caught a glimpse of Michael Palin on BBC Breakfast this morning, discussing a drama he's been doing, based in Yorkshire, with an excerpt. It struck me how like an early Cosmo he looked and sounded.

Last edited:
Great answer Pearl,just about sums up what I think:42:
Sorry about including all the quote, couldn't see how I could reply without including it.x

I agree - and by the way when you have the reply box the quoted bit has words [QUOTE.....QUOTE] all you do is highlight the text you do not want and hit DELETE key.

I then substitute "..." but that is because I am trying to particularly pedantic about proper punctuation!

However that is an extra which is not necessary if you do not wish - I think we would understan what you were trying to communicate.

Back