Why do we love Compo and Clegg?

bigcat

Dedicated Member
I've been experiencing a number of classic Britcoms thanks to the nice people at Britbox and Amazon. Porridge, Rising Damp. Father Ted, and the classic Dad's Army across the past few weeks. It is a fascinating journey into the unknown for me and I'm enjoying learning. The thing is none of the characters in these shows really made me love them. I'm too young and on the wrong side of the pond for many of them. They are well drawn characters quite often, but I have no rooting interest in them if you will.

Compo and Clegg I really do like. Of course I know they are fictions, I not totally insane, but I do have fond thoughts of them and enjoy seeing their adventures out of sheer regard for the two characters. There are a few others such as the Goods in Good Life and Andy Griffith's Don, Andy and Opie that I also quite like, but there really aren't many characters that rise to the level of truly enjoying their company if you will.

I think they have a familiarity that we all recognize either in ourselves or in people we know or knew. Roy Clarke was able to bring that into the characters in a way that not all shows manage. I particularly think a lot of people saw a lot of themselves in Clegg and in how he reacted to those around him that were more dominant (Blamire, Foggy, etc.) or those that were free spirited (Compo).

Well said. I do see bits of Clegg in me in the rambling philosophy. Then again I'm a bit of a mess so I see some Compo in there too! ;)

Back