Window$ 11 on older hardware

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
Just seen THIS article on TheRegister.
Most notable quote is
these hardware requirements will only be enforced if you upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. If you remain within the Windows Insider program, or install the OS manually from an official ISO file, or use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, the hardware checks will not be performed, and your older PC will not be blocked from running the operating system.

Been in the Windows Insider Program for years. I just had to make sure that TPM 2.0 was set in my motherboard BIOS before it would update. Liking Windows 11 so far these past few weeks. Think I read some time back that at first it was not doing the hardware checks to get more people to beta test it. That would be changed in upcoming versions and the check enforced.

As with the change between Windows 7 & 10, I don't want to upgrade my current laptop, I would rather save up and buy a brand new machine that already has Windows 11 built in. Is there any way to stop Windows 11 coming in through Windows updates, or at least give me the option to say no?

There appears to be sales everywhere of laptops, the prices are pretty good,I suspect these are being dumped knowing they will not work with Win 11

Back