Wow!

Usually I see more detail in B&W, because my attention isn't grabbed by the color. I, too, like photos of all sorts of passageways, especially ones with a bend, because they invite the viewer to walk down them and find out what's around that bend.

Does anyone have any idea what they're called in Nuneaton, where my English ancestors came from? Or in Tayvallich and Bellanoch, in the Knapdale area of Argyll and Bute, where some of my Scots ancestors came from?

Does anyone have any idea what they're called in Nuneaton, where my English ancestors came from? Or in Tayvallich and Bellanoch, in the Knapdale area of Argyll and Bute, where some of my Scots ancestors came from?
Looking at @ferret's brilliant map I'd say it was probably alley(way) as most of the blue dots cover SE from Birmingham where Nuneaton is.

As a matter of interest do you have a different name for them in the US?

Looking at @ferret's brilliant map I'd say it was probably alley(way) as most of the blue dots cover SE from Birmingham where Nuneaton is.

As a matter of interest do you have a different name for them in the US?
In region that I'm familiar with, south central upstate New York, they're called alleys. Could be different elsewhere in the States.

Back