Billy Hardcastle - what happened to him?

Maggie Jones

Dedicated Member
Can anyone tell me please what happened to Billy Hardcastle? I' ve not been able to work out what happened to this character. Was he just written out because he's not mentioned once he leaves?

Also watching an episode last week where Compo's nephew Gordon got married reminded me that Compo did have family nearby (and younger than him) and yet when arranging his funeral his friends said he had no family to arrange it so they did. Any ideas what happened to his family. By the way, not sure if any of you have watched the new comedy on Gold called Boomers (they're all baby boomers) but one of the characters is played by the actor who played Gordon. I've forgotten his name. He also played the Sheriff of Nottingham's brother in Robin of Sherwood together with Sean Connery's son Jason who played Robin.

If I remember right I think the actor of Billy Hardcastle became sick and was not sure if he could continue on the series. Is a shame because I really liked his character. Think he had good rapport with Alvin, Barry and Entwhistle as a younger team to help take the acting load from Clegg and Truly. Thought the episode with Alvin stalking the 'killer cat' hilarious!

Boomers came like many shows from BBC to be repeated on Gold , two excellent series made but sure I read that the BBC had cancelled another series but hopefully I stand to be corrected . The actor you are thinking of Maggie is Philip Jackson . I am sure someone disclosed in a previous thread why Billy left, again stand to be corrected, but I think Keith Clifford had health issues with his back and struggled to work on the scenes written for his character which were quite physical , again hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong . Like many characters who leave or sadly pass away during or between series they do not always acknowledge their departure as part of the script.

It was a shame that Billy had to be written out as he was a good character as he added yet another barmpot to the cast liked when he was chased by an Alsation dog whilst looking for animal poo.

Also watching an episode last week where Compo's nephew Gordon got married reminded me that Compo did have family nearby (and younger than him) and yet when arranging his funeral his friends said he had no family to arrange it so they did. Any ideas what happened to his family.

In addition to Gordon and Chip, there was a whole van load of grand nephews. Apparently they all left the area in search of employment, since jobs were thin on the ground in that region at that time.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about Billy Hardcastle - a favourite of mine. Looking up Joe Gladwin on tinternet: it was the 30th anniversary of his death yesterday. Loved his deadpan sense of humour and his responses to Nora's nagging. I watched the episode last week on Gold where the trio came to Wales to see Foggy's lady friend played by the lovely Welsh actress Maggie John. Does anyone remember her acting in a TV series years and years ago called Owen MD? You have to be of a certain age to remember this!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about Billy Hardcastle - a favourite of mine. Looking up Joe Gladwin on tinternet: it was the 30th anniversary of his death yesterday. Loved his deadpan sense of humour and his responses to Nora's nagging. I watched the episode last week on Gold where the trio came to Wales to see Foggy's lady friend played by the lovely Welsh actress Maggie John. Does anyone remember her acting in a TV series years and years ago called Owen MD? You have to be of a certain age to remember this!
I must be of that age Maggie :42:Was it Nigel Stock who played Owen?? Must look it up !:16:

Yes I'm sure you're right. I was quite literally a child - honest! But I think my mother liked the series. Didn't he also play Dr Watson in a Sherlock Holmes series?

In addition to Gordon and Chip, there was a whole van load of grand nephews. Apparently they all left the area in search of employment, since jobs were thin on the ground in that region at that time.

It sounds very similar to how it was and still is in this part of the world. Thanks for letting me know Marianna.

Phillip Jackson pops up all over. For many years, after he filled out and grew a mustache, he played the Inspector on "Poirot." He occasionally pops up in many other roles.

Yes I forgot that he played the inspector in Poirot. I think he was also in a short-lived comedy a while ago about people who kept allotments. Does anybody remember that programme?

He was in Coronation Street for a while but I think he's well retired now, you're right Onslow we didn't hear much about him after he left.

When these old threads are resurrected it always makes we wondered what happened to these absent forum members. I once saw a post from Barmpot a few years ago, and looking at the stats he was once a prolific poster on this site. I do hope he and other absent friends are keeping well and hopefully will rejoin us again in the not too distant future. :)

Back