Billy Hardcastle - what happened to him?

Tried to look him and his agent up thinking I could contact his agent to see if he is fine and what he is up to .It was listed as Jonathan Altaras Associates but sadly the company was dissolved so that was that . I am presuming that the site was genuine no immediate reason to doubt it.

.............Watching repeats of the Adventures of Robin Hood on TPTV Encore on his phone/tablet saying to himself "I could have been a contender"

If I remember right I think the actor of Billy Hardcastle became sick and was not sure if he could continue on the series. Is a shame because I really liked his character. Think he had good rapport with Alvin, Barry and Entwhistle as a younger team to help take the acting load from Clegg and Truly. Thought the episode with Alvin stalking the 'killer cat' hilarious!
I read that he left to try and pursue other acting work.

…and I’m sure I heard Roy Clarke say on a documentary that the dynamic of his character didn’t fit properly with the remaining trio. So I got the distinct impression he was relieved of his duties. So there you go - 3 explanations for why he left :fp:
I think there was quite an overlap in the characters of Billy and Alvin. Both had a carefree demeanour, almost reckless disregard for their own safety - often falling or being dropped in the river - and a quirky backstory; Billy a descendant of a fictional folk hero, and Alvin trying for a hang-gliding distance record. They both carried over traits of Compo; Alvin even lived in Compo's old home as a new thorn in Nora's side. So, based on this totally non-scientific evidence, they were both occupying the same space in the Summer Wine universe, so one had to go. As Alvin was entrenched in Compo's old home, it was Billy that had to go.

Back