Compo's sandwich

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
I've been watching the series through and I just watched The Waist Land.
In the show Compo says he has a cheese sandwich with a bit of mustard. 7:11 mark on the Youtube version.
Anyway, is that for real?? That just seems like a very large slice of cheese?
I've eaten cheese sandwiches before but never that much cheese.
I was just wondering if that was customary or maybe an exaggeration for the episode?

I've been watching the series through and I just watched The Waist Land.
In the show Compo says he has a cheese sandwich with a bit of mustard. 7:11 mark on the Youtube version.
Anyway, is that for real?? That just seems like a very large slice of cheese?
I've eaten cheese sandwiches before but never that much cheese.
I was just wondering if that was customary or maybe an exaggeration for the episode?

I think its supposed to be an exaggeration but to be honest I have seen such sandwiches for real. Some people, usually men, like what we call "Door Steps" so I think its a mixture of exaggeration and a door step.

I think its supposed to be an exaggeration but to be honest I have seen such sandwiches for real. Some people, usually men, like what we call "Door Steps" so I think its a mixture of exaggeration and a door step.

Most of Compo's sarnies were doorsteps including the one that "bloody" Wainwright leaned on!! :wink: :wink:

Never knew such a thing.
I normally each a sandwich for lunch, but the bread is not very thick and I put lots of meat and cheese on it. Although, now I'm eating wheat bread, blah!! Supposed to be good for us or something. Blah!! Tastes awful.:mad:

I love learning the differences between US and the UK.

We should create a thread or a heading about this!!

Never knew such a thing.
I normally each a sandwich for lunch, but the bread is not very thick and I put lots of meat and cheese on it. Although, now I'm eating wheat bread, blah!! Supposed to be good for us or something. Blah!! Tastes awful.:mad:

I love learning the differences between US and the UK.

We should create a thread or a heading about this!!
Poor Wesley. Your wife knows what she is doing; whole wheat bread is a lot better for you. Hang in there.

Speaking of sandwiches, when I was in Canada I was given a ham and cheese sandwich and both slices of bread had butter on them. Is this a custom in England as well.

Poor Wesley. Your wife knows what she is doing; whole wheat bread is a lot better for you. Hang in there.

Speaking of sandwiches, when I was in Canada I was given a ham and cheese sandwich and both slices of bread had butter on them. Is this a custom in England as well.

Good grief yes, why would you not have butter on a sarnie??

Good grief yes, why would you not have butter on a sarnie??

The only time I have ever put butter on bread is to make toast in the morning. Toast the bread and add butter and jelly.

I actually liked the sandwiches with butter but it is not normal here.

We just don't live right over here. ;D

The only time I have ever put butter on bread is to make toast in the morning. Toast the bread and add butter and jelly.

That's true, tea in a microwave now no butter on your sandwiches tut tut.

Don't they taste dry with no butter? I suppose its what you're used too really.

What is a sarnie?

I think the doorstep sandwiches may of started years ago when folk were poor,that may be the only meal all day,often taken to work in the mines etc,they would eat it as the day progressed,the Cornish miners had pasties to last them all day, in the 60's I recall seeing builders on sites with doorsteps sandwiches,I suppose before the days of canteens and mobile food vans

Although, now I'm eating wheat bread, blah!! Supposed to be good for us or something. Blah!! Tastes awful

For my taste, the only good wheat bread is homemade whole wheat and honey. The down side is that once I start eating it I have trouble stopping.

Marianna

Is jelly what we call jam?

Compo often had large chunks of cheese in chunks of bread - I used to do so until cheese was banned (health grounds)!

Mind you try eating out and see how restricted your diet can be be if you have to exclude all the cheese dishes and those with red mea! Chicken and tuna - cluck and burble!!!:20: :(

For my taste, the only good wheat bread is homemade whole wheat and honey.

I should have said 'the only good bread'. I dislike white bread, even though I grew up on it. Homemade white isn't as bad as the spongy commercial stuff, though. I began baking bread when I was about fourteen years old, just to have something edible for sandwiches.

Marianna

I am just about to go and make a cheese ,red pepper,spring onion and Branson pickle sandwich with butter (lots of it!) on both bits of bread.Bacon sarnies are the best with brown sauce a dash of Sarsons vinegar plus of course butter on bread of course even better is a bacon and sausage sarnie! I happily have at least two sarnies a day and sometimes a toasted sandwich bacon preferably.I hope all of you from across the pond come here and experience a proper sandwich one day.:29::21:

I should have said 'the only good bread'. I dislike white bread, even though I grew up on it. Homemade white isn't as bad as the spongy commercial stuff, though. I began baking bread when I was about fourteen years old, just to have something edible for sandwiches.

Marianna

I've said it before , my mothers home made bread was something to die for, all the family used to love it when she was baking. Strangely her pastry and her Yorkshire puds were something else!:35:

So everybody this is the straight skinny on wheat. First of butter your bread, especially if you're having a slice or two of whole wheat bread. Next, 99% of the farmers are planting a type of wheat that is called dwarf wheat. This wheat has been specifically developed in the lab to enable farmers plant and harvest more efficiently. The trade-off has been that the wheat is less nutritious and for some, indigestible, a condition is known as gluten intolerance. So what to do? Go with your gut feeling. If certain types of bread don't thrill you, then put them aside and go with something you actually like. Remember someone's great homemade bread? Can you get the recipe and make it? Think that a certain bread tastes like sawdust? It may actually contain sawdust. No matter what, go with your gut feeling.

So everybody this is the straight skinny on wheat. First of butter your bread, especially if you're having a slice or two of whole wheat bread. Next, 99% of the farmers are planting a type of wheat that is called dwarf wheat. This wheat has been specifically developed in the lab to enable farmers plant and harvest more efficiently. The trade-off has been that the wheat is less nutritious and for some, indigestible, a condition is known as gluten intolerance. So what to do? Go with your gut feeling. If certain types of bread don't thrill you, then put them aside and go with something you actually like. Remember someone's great homemade bread? Can you get the recipe and make it? Think that a certain bread tastes like sawdust? It may actually contain sawdust. No matter what, go with your gut feeling.

I'm with you Adanor !!!! Back to white bread for me!! I like a brand called Sunbeam, so good and moist. Wife doesn't, she said it sticks to the roof of her mouth, heehee
I do like homemade bread as well. Just as Barmpot said, my mother's homemade bread was great. I buy homemade sub rolls from the local deli here and they are pretty good as well. Like a little chewy in my homemade bread.

Butter on sandwiches in the states is quite regional. I grew up in Minnesota and both slices of bread were always buttered. I also lived in Idaho, Washington, Iowa, Missouri, and Virginia and butter was used on sandwiches as well. It wasn't until I moved to Oklahoma that I found people who used mayonnaise instead of butter all the time. I occasionally have mayo on a sandwich, but I don't omit the butter.

Back