Favourite scene.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if members would like to share their all time favourite scene from the series. Difficult question I know, there were so many to chose from. I will start the ball rolling with mine from Dried Dates and Codfanglers. The scene is quite a long one, centered around Compo trying to retrieve his dried date from Seymour's pond having rashly thrown it in before realising it's sentimental value. Compo's nostalgic recollection of standing in front of Nora's window, naked to the waist being pelted with dried dates by Nora I thought was one of his all time highlights. Bill Owen, for a man of diminutive stature had such a presence on screen it often seemed he could carry the whole show on his own and this was certainly one of these occasions.

I love that one too and would have chosen it if you hadn't ( I'm sure we're twins)

That said, I'll chose the one from Uncle Of The Bride, where Wally is walking his secret whippet and he gets to a cross roads and Nora and Ivy are on the other road and they bump into each other. Nora catches Wally with the whippet, slowly walks up to him standing there with the whippet looking like he's about to be told to send it away when Nora in a calm, slow, kind voice says " Ok, you can keep it but it doesn't go up stairs and if it sheds any hair you clean it up" the look on Wallys face is amazing.

Can pick another?

Like that one too Pearl, Joe Gladwin at his very best. It's when you look at great scenes like that you really mourn the passing of such wonderful actors like Joe.
Share other favourite scenes too, keep the thread going.

There are so many to pick from........ Thinking of Compo and Nora a scene that stands out is Desperate for Duffield. When the armoire slides down the hill and Nora runs to make sure Compo is okay. Side to Nora we don't see,she cares for Compo. When he grabs her coat, and pulls her close, stating that Audrey Duffield is gone and his heart belongs to Nora. :28:

Another scene is in Three Man And A Mangle. Nora walks down her steps picks up a sheet from the basket throws it of the line and falls flat on her face, her look as she sits there looking up to see where the line went is hilarious.

Wellies to Wet Suit. Compo dancing in the flippers in the field. "You are my honeysuckle, I am the bee" .......... The disbelief of the farmer and Compo looking at him!!!! " What is the matter with thee?":37::37:

Another one, I watched this the other day.

Foggy Up Fir Tree The three are in the cafe telling Sid Foggy bought 100 xmas trees in the Forestry Commission's sale from Big Eric and Nora and Ivy walk in dollied up to the nines and saunter past Compo like a couple of flusses giving Compo the big come on look, smiling and winking, Compos half crazed smile and look of wonder and amazement like its all his birthdays and xmases all rolled into the same day he won the lotto and eager way he followed them into the kitchen is flawless.

Bill Owen, for a man of diminutive stature had such a presence on screen it often seemed he could carry the whole show on his own and this was certainly one of these occasions.

Not sure I can go along with that but then it is well kent that I am a Clegg man.

I find this virtually impossible, there being so many great moments in all those episodes. 'Last Post and Pigeon' had so many touching scenes. And after that there was the Funeral Trilogy. Apart from which, I am, as is again well kent, a dialogue man. It is Roy Clarke's scripts which draw me to the programme.

I love moments such as Clegg's discourse on Hitler in 'The Loxley Lozenge'. And there are great scenes in 'When you take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible' such as when Clegg falls off the gate or the three try formation cycling and collide and the ghost of Bill Henry is blamed.

I know I've said it before , the scene in " Getting Barry Higher In The World " always do's it for me! Cleggy feeding the horse after they had been musing on Compo and his women (went to Spain to help him run his bar) Cleggy's musing about women being different and not liking The Goon Show. Then they are stood overlooking the railway, Compo says "wonder where it's going?". Seymour says "London I expect !" At this all three take off their hats! This whole episode is full of lines that raise a smile. Cleggy musing on marbles and wondering where they came from, Compo's ready answer "that little shop in Hebden Street!" Seymour asking Wesley why he'd made the kite in metres and Wesley saying "I thought some dozy twonk like you would be bound to want it in metres!". :me: :35:

I love the Green finger scene when Foggy is knocked down by the plastic carrot. It came across as a blooper and genuine laughing by Bill and Peter. It showed me that even though they didn't get along always that they honestly did have fun together.

I also like the scene in Desprate For A Duffield then Compo shouts from upstairs " Its a bit tight" So Foggy shouts " Well don't fasten the buttons then" Clegg gets a panicked look and and says " That's reclas advise, suppose he doesn't mean the jacket!"

Also the scene when they're walking away from the house and Clegg does a little jive dance down the road.

Another one, I watched this the other day.

Foggy Up Fir Tree The three are in the cafe telling Sid Foggy bought 100 xmas trees in the Forestry Commission's sale from Big Eric and Nora and Ivy walk in dollied up to the nines and saunter past Compo like a couple of flusses giving Compo the big come on look, smiling and winking, Compos half crazed smile and look of wonder and amazement like its all his birthdays and xmases all rolled into the same day he won the lotto and eager way he followed them into the kitchen is flawless.

I don't remember that scene. Will have to re watch that. I know sometimes there are scenes missing in some of the US versions. HMMMM

I don't remember that scene. Will have to re watch that. I know sometimes there are scenes missing in some of the US versions. HMMMM

That scene is in the US version. It's one of favorites also. I don't care much for the episode in general, but the scenes when Ivy and Nora plot, when they lure Compo, and when they get there revenge make it worth watching.

Its a great episode I doubt that whole scene would have been edited because its the last scene you should seek it out its very funny, also in that episode is where Ivy goes round to Nora's house to discuss what they plan to do about Compos behavior, its a good prelude to the coffee mornings.

Its a great episode I doubt that whole scene would have been edited because its the last scene you should seek it out its very funny, also in that episode is where Ivy goes round to Nora's house to discuss what they plan to do about Compos behavior, its a good prelude to the coffee mornings.

It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but I seem to recall that Nora and Ivy lured Compo into the kitchen and debagged him. Or did I imagine that ending?

Marianna

Oh, I remember it now.! lol. he went into the kitchen after them. Yes