Most Expensive Cream Cake

me2

Dedicated Member
Was just watching "Magic and the Morris Minor" when Auntie Wainwright orders Ivy's most expensive Cream Cake. Ivy serves the cake on a plate with a napkin and a knife. Is this normal over there? We would serve it with a fork. Not sure if she was expected to cut off bites and then pick it up with her fingers or what.

Was just watching "Magic and the Morris Minor" when Auntie Wainwright orders Ivy's most expensive Cream Cake. Ivy serves the cake on a plate with a napkin and a knife. Is this normal over there? We would serve it with a fork. Not sure if she was expected to cut off bites and then pick it up with her fingers or what.

It really depends where you go in the UK, often you get a knife to cut pieces off and eat the bite size bit as you state , others you get a pastry fork with the cutting edge , others you get a spoon and fork as you would in a restaurant . Personally I never really do dainty rather pick the cake up , bite into it , and squish the cream all over . Never seem to have an issue getting at table to myself, nobody seems to want to join me, even if the cafe is busy cannot think why :08:

It really depends where you go in the UK, often you get a knife to cut pieces off and eat the bite size bit as you state , others you get a pastry fork with the cutting edge , others you get a spoon and fork as you would in a restaurant . Personally I never really do dainty rather pick the cake up , bite into it , and squish the cream all over . Never seem to have an issue getting at table to myself, nobody seems to want to join me, even if the cafe is busy cannot think why :08:
You can`t?

Is a cream cake crumbly like a piece of cake or solid like a bagel? You're not expected to pick up something crumbly in your fingers?

Is a cream cake crumbly like a piece of cake or solid like a bagel? You're not expected to pick up something crumbly in your fingers?

When the ladies have coffee there is a running gag where one of them takes the biggest, squishy cake , if you recall those scenes they represent what a cream cake is . Below is a vanilla slice the same as caught Howard out with Pearl spotting a piece in his moustache ,hope that helps.

cake.jpg

Chocolate cream eclairs that's my favourite cant find any giant ones like the ladies have on the plate

I think cream cakes are funded by dry cleaners so that you get cream all over your clothes from it falling out as you bite into it (no such dainty things as forks or cutlery allowed) and thus needing cleaning!!!

A slice of cake always has a knife on the plate down here I had a lovely slice of lemon merangue last Thursday at our favourite café in Wendover.

Thank you all for your answers. It's interesting how customs vary so much from place to place. We might pick up something like that to eat informally, but in a café or at any table, we would be expected to use a fork.

Does anybody know of any regional cakes in the UK? Here in Wales apart from the usual cream cakes that have been mentioned we still have old favourites - perhaps not as popular as they used to be as there's no cream in them and no chocolate - usually fruit. However, they're still readily available to buy especially at indoor markets. They are teisen lap, bara brith and the lovely welshcakes which these days are split and have jam or jam and cream in them. There's some good recipes for them on the net and I know some people still bake their own. Any other regional 'fancies'?

Marianna,

As a young nipper I recall vividly going to London and being taken by my Aunt and Uncle to a Lyons Corner House and eating slice after slice of Boston Iced Cake [which I assume was their version of Boston Cream Pie] . I can taste it now as I'm typing this I've searched for it tirelessly for years but to no avail . Is it native only to Boston or something that is available across the States.

Let me tell you. There are probably lots of people that enjoy eating a white (yellow) slice of cake flavored with vanilla and iced with a white icing. And in a group, I wouldn't turn it down for fear of offending someone. But personally, the addition of chocolate in the cake or the icing or both would make it much more interesting.

Back