Most Expensive Cream Cake

Marianna,

As a young nipper I recall vividly going to London and being taken by my Aunt and Uncle to a Lyons Corner House and eating slice after slice of Boston Iced Cake [which I assume was their version of Boston Cream Pie] . I can taste it now as I'm typing this I've searched for it tirelessly for years but to no avail . Is it native only to Boston or something that is available across the States.
According to Wikipedia, A Boston cream pie is a cake that is filled with a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate. Despite its name, it is in fact a cake, and not a pie.

Marianna,
As a young nipper I recall vividly going to London and being taken by my Aunt and Uncle to a Lyons Corner House and eating slice after slice of Boston Iced Cake [which I assume was their version of Boston Cream Pie] . I can taste it now as I'm typing this I've searched for it tirelessly for years but to no avail . Is it native only to Boston or something that is available across the States.

There's a recipe and photo here. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/boston-cream-pie-recipe0.html Is this what you remember?

It's available almost anywhere in my area. I can't speak for the rest of the country, though.

Hello Marianna,

Unfortunately that's not it basically the cake I had was thick white icing small thin layers of vanilla sponge sandwiched with thicker layers of cream would probably hit 10 on the sickly scale for most adults but as child you could not get enough . My quest continues but thank you so much for trying to find it very much appreciated .

Hello Marianna,
Unfortunately that's not it basically the cake I had was thick white icing small thin layers of vanilla sponge sandwiched with thicker layers of cream would probably hit 10 on the sickly scale for most adults but as child you could not get enough . My quest continues but thank you so much for trying to find it very much appreciated .

I've never seen anything like that, and the search for Boston Iced Cake all led to Boston Cream Pie.

I know Marianna I have even looked at the images for the Lyons Corner House menus but alas all to no avail going to look for some bloggers who may possibly have a said blog about Lyons Corner Houses but it's a long shot . My memory is so vivid that I am adamant it existed and it's not a trick of the mind. The search continues..............

Thank you Brian , the Lyons version was bereft of Chocolate I think it was their take on the the Boston Cream cake and so other sites who expound about the Boston Cream Pie/Cake are concerned with the infamous commonly known delicacy , the search I'm afraid goes on but thank you so much to all the people who are trying to assist me :) .

It's been a good exercise for me because I looked into the history of Lyons i'd heard of the term Nippy [the use of Nipper in my first post was purely coincidental] but didn't really know where it came from . Apparently the waitresses were originally known as Gladys but acquired the name Nippy because of the swift movement around the cafes to promptly serve customers and collect the empty dishes . It appears that Mrs Slocombe from Are You Being Served is portrayed as being and ex Nippy in one of the episodes much to her consternation .

Sadly these days in certain establishments the male and female staff should be nicknamed " Sloths"

Back