Rosetta Stone needed?

Scrumpa

I didn't know quite where to post this. What does "Mod conned" (All Mod Conned") and "mod cons" (Pearl says it near the end of Howard and the Great Outdoors) mean? Being a Yank from the US West Coast, I have to ask.

I didn't know quite where to post this. What does "Mod conned" (All Mod Conned") and "mod cons" (Pearl says it near the end of Howard and the Great Outdoors) mean? Being a Yank from the US West Coast, I have to ask.

Maybe a bit more translation. "Modern conveniences" - means kitchen , bathroom and heating facilities are up to scratch - these days implies dish washer, freezer, washing machine, possibly a shower unit, possibly en suite bedroom, and central heating. If you go back far enough it would have implied house actually had a bathroom and that the restroom was indoors and not outside in the garden.

Thanks for the translation. So, when Pearl was stating that Howard had "mod cons", she was referring to Marina in his tent. Makes sense now - and funnier, too.

I wonder what other local phrases were used that may have slipped by me unnoticed. For example, when Compo got hit on the head by Ivy, it sounded to me like he said that that cleared his guitar - which didn't make any sense whatsoever until someone in this group translated it for me as cattarh, an inflammation of the mucous membranes (and increased my vocabulary by one).

Anyone have more LOTSW phrases or words that might need translation to help out us folks from the opposite side of the globe? (I'll be back with more requests for translation myself when I run across the need for 'em)

Thanks again.

Just ran across another - a "budgie" - re: The First Human Being to Ride a Hill, in which Clegg says, "It's like being suddenly savaged by your budgie." This after Howard acts forcefully to get his bike back from Pearl - and just before Howard appears with a bicycle inner tube wrapped tightly around his throat.

Just ran across another - a "budgie" - re: The First Human Being to Ride a Hill, in which Clegg says, "It's like being suddenly savaged by your budgie." This after Howard acts forcefully to get his bike back from Pearl - and just before Howard appears with a bicycle inner tube wrapped tightly around his throat.

Budgie is a small domestic pet bird, in this line Cleggy is referring to Howard being firm with Pearl would be the same effect as being attack by such an animal

"Budgie" - abbreviation for "budgerigar" - small, generally brightly coloured pet bird. Not seen many in US on my trips and understand they might be better known there as pet parakeets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar

Thanks for the translation. So, when Pearl was stating that Howard had "mod cons", she was referring to Marina in his tent. Makes sense now - and funnier, too.

I wonder what other local phrases were used that may have slipped by me unnoticed. For example, when Compo got hit on the head by Ivy, it sounded to me like he said that that cleared his guitar - which didn't make any sense whatsoever until someone in this group translated it for me as cattarh, an inflammation of the mucous membranes (and increased my vocabulary by one).

Anyone have more LOTSW phrases or words that might need translation to help out us folks from the opposite side of the globe? (I'll be back with more requests for translation myself when I run across the need for 'em)

Thanks again.
I am from Texas and have had to ask for translations - they are a friendly and informative lot here ;)
Just ask and they will supply the answers.

Ah, I see, Texas. Thats why you always seem to be up in the middle of the night! Your time zone is so different. I get it. I'm a bit dim in the mornings. I thought you must be working the night shift somewhere! Hope the weather is better where you are than it is here.

As pointed out it is a play on words of Modern Conveniences and conned as in ripped off. If US or indeed other nationality members are unsure about such things or the Yorkshire dialect just shoot me a PM, I would be happy to help you.

Thanks for the offer, Foggy :)! I had guessed this play on words, I think I´m getting the hang of these things, but there is always something somewhere that makes me wonder. Perhaps we should put a "language trouble" corner somewhere on the forum for us foreigners, lol!

Ah, I see, Texas. Thats why you always seem to be up in the middle of the night! Your time zone is so different. I get it. I'm a bit dim in the mornings. I thought you must be working the night shift somewhere! Hope the weather is better where you are than it is here.
Yes, it's the time zone. By the time I get on here you guys are all asleep.
The weather is hot and I don't mean just hot - it is over 100 degrees hot. I am so ready for Autumn. However we still have several more months of this. I can only pray for rain. ;D

The weather is hot and I don't mean just hot - it is over 100 degrees hot. I am so ready for Autumn. However we still have several more months of this. I can only pray for rain. ;D

Hell, don't pray for it, take some of ours, we can't give it away ;D

Considering we're supposedly in the height of summer, you could easily believe it was November. Foggys right. Have our share of rain. It's like a monsoon here.

Tell your government to impose a hosepipe ban.That works here. :)

I think a new section on translation would be a great idea, someone should look into it. It would help our cousins from abroad enjoy Summer Wine more.

And yes please do help your self to some rain, I am fed up with have it sit on the window sill when the washing is on the line.

Here is November, too! Rain every single day. But next week we´re supposed to get a few summer days at last. I think the last few dry and warm days were in May.

It's suddenly gone all July here! I'm off to west Wales while the sun shines. Returning with treasures of the Irish kind in hours!!

Back