Rosetta Stone needed?

Perhaps we should put a "language trouble" corner somewhere on the forum for us foreigners, lol!

Amen!

Speaking of weather and such, one of the reasons I just LOVE LOTSW is that it looks and acts so much like the Willamette Valley, Oregon, where I live. My favorite LOTSW episodes are summer episodes - beautiful.

My most distant ancestor with my surname came from "England" - though I have no idea exactly WHERE in England as he died on the Oregon Trail in 1852, leaving no personal records that have survived.

I suspect that many a Yorkshireman felt when he got here that he'd "come home" in a distant land. BTW, we have LOADS of barnpots and twits here (along with loads of rain) to make any Yorkshire transplant feel right at home.

Enjoying 80 degrees and sun today, 73 and cloudy tomorrow - no rain. Nice.

GrampaB

Thanks to Grandpa B for an appropriate topic.

The Summer Wine viewing is good for me to learn a little British English while I hope it one day helps me at Scrabble.

I just love it when Nora refers to the trio as "Daft Lot".
Other times, is she referring to them as "Dozy Lot"? I know Pearl used that tern too.

Now I have to ask "what is a hosepipe ban"? :D

Of course, one does have to ask if this is rhetorical? Or has it already been answered. But, just in case, in UK - well, south of the border in England and Wales anyway - the local water company, in drought conditions, can impose a hosepipe ban to preserve stocks for essential purposes. Means householders cannot connect a hosepipe (I think that is a term US will understand) to a tap (fawcet?) to wash a car (automobile) or water (irrigate) garden plants.

Now I have to ask "what is a hosepipe ban"? :D

Of course, one does have to ask if this is rhetorical? Or has it already been answered. But, just in case, in UK - well, south of the border in England and Wales anyway - the local water company, in drought conditions, can impose a hosepipe ban to preserve stocks for essential purposes. Means householders cannot connect a hosepipe (I think that is a term US will understand) to a tap (fawcet?) to wash a car (automobile) or water (irrigate) garden plants.
Thank you! We have that too only we call it "water restrictions". Currently, I can only water my foundation and yard on Wednesdays and Saturdays. (In Texas we have to water our foundation (concrete slab that our home is built on.)

Thank you! We have that too only we call it "water restrictions". Currently, I can only water my foundation and yard on Wednesdays and Saturdays. (In Texas we have to water our foundation (concrete slab that our home is built on.)
[/quote]

Thats interresting, why?

That IS interesting!Why do you have to water the concrete? Does it crack in high heat?

Thats interresting, why?

[/quote] Due to the heat and lack of rain the foundation will start shifting and it causes the brick & walls to crack. Doors & windows won't close or open properly as the house is no longer level. If it gets bad enough you have to hire a company to straighten it back out.

That IS interesting!Why do you have to water the concrete? Does it crack in high heat?
It's a combination of heat and drought. We have been over 100 degrees for weeks now. The last couple of days has been in the high 90's which has been so much better. We won't start cooling off until the last part of October or early November.

It's a combination of heat and drought. We have been over 100 degrees for weeks now. The last couple of days has been in the high 90's which has been so much better. We won't start cooling off until the last part of October or early November.

Ye Gods. I'm having a hard time here when it's only 75-80 degrees. I suppose I was born in Wales for a reason. Its generally a bit cold, wet and blustery. I think 100 degrees would melt me. It would certainly fry my brain. And 90 degrees feels cooler? Wow. I'm having a flush just thinking about it!

..... I think 100 degrees would melt me. It would certainly fry my brain. And 90 degrees feels cooler? Wow. I'm having a flush just thinking about it!

Likewise

What they need in Texas is a dungeon under the house, to help control the extremes of heat and moisture - just as in Yorkshire, such as Holmfirth or even here ...

We had 100 degrees in 2003 for weeks in a row which we never have. Only that we measure in Celsius, so it was more like 38-39.

I'd dissolve. Really, I would! I went to Egypt years ago. They had a heat wave. Can you believe it? I ask you. Of all the times there could have been a heatwave they had one then. Of course I fiddled about with the air conditioning in my room. Somehow or other I managed to jam it on. I was the only person in Luxor looking for extra blankets. 110 degrees outside and what felt like minus 20 in my room. I never was very technical!

..... I think 100 degrees would melt me. It would certainly fry my brain. And 90 degrees feels cooler? Wow. I'm having a flush just thinking about it!

Likewise

What they need in Texas is a dungeon under the house, to help control the extremes of heat and moisture - just as in Yorkshire, such as Holmfirth or even here ...
Then we would have to worry about "stone worm" ;D

Back