Smoking in summer Wine

John Comer (Sid) was a heavy smoker and died of throat cancer. Tony Melody dubbed his lines in "Getting Sam Home".

Gordon Wharmby (Wesley Pegden) was also a heavy smoker, who died of lung cancer. His part was written out shortly before the start of filming for the 24th season because his voice was severely damaged.
I believe I saw Wesley light one up in 'Happy Anniversary Gough and Jesse'.

Wikipedia reports out that Jane Freeman died of lung cancer.

I recall a documentary about tobacco use some years ago, the interviewer approached a gentleman who by trade was an embalmer in the funeral services, the presenter showed the embalmer a list of chemicals, the embalmer replied I would need full PPE and respirator to handle these chemicals, at which point it was revealed these chemicals are all present in cigarettes!

Often, the actors smoked (while acting) which functioned as a means of reliving tension. If you look carefully at a scene, sometimes the act of lighting up or puffing helps the actor get through a scene.

In rare instances it adds a bit more character to the actor's performance. I'd cite the late John Savident's excellent portrayal as Fred Elliott, I say Fred Elliott in Coronation Street. Later as the writers struggled to give him meaningful scenes he'd be leant across the bar, give a funny noise and deliver his one or two sparingly given lines and tap his cigeratte on the bar somehow making it more meaningful.

There was one play I've been in where I was required to smoke in back at uni called Look Back in Anger by John Osbourne featuring the original 'angry young man' Jimmy Porter. I played his amiable Welsh flatmate Cliff and was needed to smoke like a chimney. Having never smoken before or since I was reluctant to do so for obvious reasons and reached the compromise that I would have a real cigarette and just hold it a fraction away from my mouth and not inhale rather than use a fake one. Great play tho with wonderful dialogue and some truly great performers to be alongside in Preston Drama Club. Later I found this is the same company where the wonderful Leonard Rossiter started out in rep.

In rare instances it adds a bit more character to the actor's performance. I'd cite the late John Savident's excellent portrayal as Fred Elliott, I say Fred Elliott in Coronation Street. Later as the writers struggled to give him meaningful scenes he'd be leant across the bar, give a funny noise and deliver his one or two sparingly given lines and tap his cigeratte on the bar somehow making it more meaningful.

There was one play I've been in where I was required to smoke in back at uni called Look Back in Anger by John Osbourne featuring the original 'angry young man' Jimmy Porter. I played his amiable Welsh flatmate Cliff and was needed to smoke like a chimney. Having never smoken before or since I was reluctant to do so for obvious reasons and reached the compromise that I would have a real cigarette and just hold it a fraction away from my mouth and not inhale rather than use a fake one. Great play tho with wonderful dialogue and some truly great performers to be alongside in Preston Drama Club. Later I found this is the same company where the wonderful Leonard Rossiter started out in rep.
Good solution!

Back