The Swan Man of Ilkley

And this is the view to their right.
Marsden%204-16%20030_zps5ayomc5x.jpg

The Eastergate Packhorse Bridge at Marsden,a short and beautiful walk from Standedge Tunnel and visitor centre,also known as the Summer Wine Bridge,although there is no recognition of that there,the original still with Compo,Cleggy and Seymour was from the episode The Kiss and Mavis Poskit (loved how they twice threw Cleggy to the women in the café)
Marsden%204-16%20031_zpszu9incyi.jpg

Thank you for more awesome pictures Pete ! :03::01::37:

Sorry to hear that things are a bit hectic your way. Hope they calm down soon. Hope you have a great Summer and look forward to hearing from ya and more pics when you have the chance.

Cheers,
Rick

No visit to Marsden would be complete without a visit to Aunties shop on Oliver Lane,there definately ought to be a blue plaque or something on this building,the building immediately to the side of it which was for sale has now got a sold sign up,in this scene Seymour is hanging Compo out of the upstairs window,watched on by Auntie Wainwright and Cleggy below,from the episode CRUMS.I'll post the Standedge Tunnel/Treasure of the Deep photos when I get time,hopefully tomorrow
Marsden%204-16%20015_zpsu1tprak2.jpg
Marsden%204-16%20038_zpsbj6kbntk.jpg

Hello Pete,

Thank you for posting the photos and taking time out from what I know is a very hectic schedule to take them and post them here . They are some of the most anticipated and welcome posts on the site , for those fans from other countries and for those in this country who cannot visit the area they are a godsend and almost like being there in person . As you say some recognition from the local authorities for the key sites ,like Auntie's, that this iconic show has added so much to the tourism in the area would be a nice and not too expensive gesture .

The electrical goods shop,which Compo was eying up in the episode Whoops is now a Café Wine Bar

The Nook brew pub is directly in front of them. There's been a pub on the site since 1754, and according to the Blue Plaque guide (http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/visitors/documents/HolmfirthBluePlaque.pdf), "Previously the Rose and Crown, it was recently renamed THE NOOK to reflect the name used by local people for many decades past. It takes its name from its site, and is on one [of] Holmfirth’s ancient routes. Today it has it’s own award winning micro brewery."

I lodged there for several nights last fall in a very nice, quiet, reasonably-priced room on the top floor overlooking the River Ribble. Great breakfast, too, served in the Tap House dining room.

As you say some recognition from the local authorities for the key sites ,like Auntie's, that this iconic show has added so much to the tourism in the area would be a nice and not too expensive gesture .

Auntie Wainwright's is in Marsden, where the Kirklee's Council seems to be trying to discourage visitors. They've closed the public convenience, and the town hasn't replaced it with one of their own, very effectively preventing people from staying in town for any length of time. They didn't even have the courtesy to inform the National Trust that they needed to update their information about the Marsden Moor Estate to reflect the closure. The National Trust seemed shocked about the closure when I contacted them.

Back